The South African Police Service (SAPS) said investigators have made significant progress into two separate fatal shooting incidents in Knysna that left three people dead within 24 hours.
The shootings claimed the lives of former Knysna mayor and Ward 8 councillor Aubrey Tsengwa (47), and former Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane together with Mandla Tyololo. The incidents occurred on consecutive nights earlier this week, prompting an elevated operational response from provincial policing structures.
High-level visit and reinforcements
Western Cape Provincial Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Sizakhele William Dyantyi and Western Cape MEC for Police Oversight and Community Safety Anroux Marais visited Knysna to be briefed on the investigations. They were accompanied by Knysna SAPS Station Commander Colonel Nicholas Warnick during site visits to the scenes where the killings occurred.
Dyantyi said the Provincial Serious Violent Crime (SVC) Unit detectives were deployed after the first incident on Wednesday evening and that reinforcements were provided following Thursday night’s shooting.
"As you would have picked up in our communication with the media, the Provincial Serious Violent Crime Unit detectives descended on Knysna after Wednesday evening’s shooting incident that left Mr Aubrey Tsengwa dead,"
The commissioner said he had received comprehensive briefings from the operational teams deployed in the area and that the SVC team was working around the clock.
Police appeal against speculation
SAPS publicly urged members of the community and the media to refrain from spreading misinformation or speculating about who may be responsible for the shootings. Authorities emphasised that the investigation must be allowed to progress without interference that could compromise evidence or lines of inquiry.
The statement and the site visit underlined the gravity with which provincial policing and oversight officials are treating the twin incidents, given the victims’ profiles as local public representatives.
What is known so far
- Three people were shot dead in two separate incidents in Knysna on consecutive nights.
- Victims named by police: former mayor and Ward 8 councillor Aubrey Tsengwa (47); former Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane; and Mandla Tyololo.
- The Provincial Serious Violent Crime Unit is leading the investigations, reinforced after the second shooting.
- Western Cape Police Commissioner Lt Gen S.W. Dyantyi and MEC Anroux Marais conducted a site visit and received operational briefings.
| Victim | Position | Incident |
|---|---|---|
| Aubrey Tsengwa (47) | Former Knysna mayor; Ward 8 councillor | Shot dead on Wednesday evening |
| Mandla Matiwane | Former Ward 7 councillor | Shot dead on Thursday night |
| Mandla Tyololo | — | Shot dead on Thursday night |
Investigators have not disclosed operational specifics such as arrests, motives or links between the two incidents. No charges or suspects have been publicly confirmed by SAPS at the time of the provincial briefing.
The office of the provincial commissioner indicated detectives were working around the clock and that further information would be released as inquiries progressed and as it became appropriate to publicise investigative developments without prejudicing the cases.
Given the involvement of local elected representatives, the killings are likely to have political and governance repercussions locally. The police plea against speculation reflects concerns that unverified public commentary could hinder evidence-gathering or taint witness testimony.
Police have asked anyone with information to come forward through official SAPS channels to assist detectives. The investigations remain active and ongoing.