Crime & Courts Knysna Western Cape (WC)

Commissioner visits Knysna after three killed in two shootings; questioning under way, no arrests

Western Cape police commissioner Lieutenant General Sizakhele Dyantyi visited Knysna in the Garden Route after three people were fatally shot in two incidents within 24 hours. SAPS says questioning is under way but no arrests have been made.

Commissioner visits Knysna after three killed in two shootings; questioning under way, no arrests
©Illustration AI Riaan Bester / we-news.com

Western Cape police commissioner Lieutenant General Sizakhele Dyantyi travelled to Knysna on Saturday after two separate shooting incidents within 24 hours left three people dead, police said.

Investigation ongoing, no arrests yet

The South African Police Service (SAPS) has confirmed that questioning related to the shootings is under way but that no arrests had been made at the time of the update. The incidents occurred in the Garden Route town of Knysna, a coastal centre that relies heavily on tourism and has in recent years confronted a mix of violent and property crimes.

The commissioner's visit is a visible sign that provincial police leadership is directly engaged with local commanders and the affected community. SAPS provided a supplied image showing Dyantyi in Knysna; further operational details released by police were limited in the initial report.

What is known so far

  • Fatalities: Three people were killed across two separate shooting incidents within a 24‑hour period.
  • Response: Western Cape police commissioner Lt Gen Sizakhele Dyantyi visited Knysna following the shootings.
  • Investigation: Questioning is under way; no arrests have been announced.

Because SAPS has released only a limited brief, essential details such as the timing and locations of each incident, the identities of the deceased, and whether the shootings are linked remain unconfirmed publicly. The absence of arrests suggests detectives are still building lines of inquiry and collecting evidence.

Community impact and policing challenges

Knysna's community leaders and residents typically expect prompt, transparent communication from police in the wake of serious violence. Rapid answers help reduce fear and speculation, and also aid investigators when witnesses come forward. The commissioner's presence can bolster local morale, but it also raises expectations that the investigation will be prioritised and that tangible policing measures will follow.

In cases of multiple murders within a short period, detectives commonly canvass neighbourhoods, review CCTV and cellphone records where available, and conduct forensic examinations. Local detectives will likely be assisted by provincial resources while the probe continues. SAPS statements about ongoing questioning indicate investigative activity, but without arrests the community remains without closure.

What residents should expect next

Residents should expect further updates from SAPS as the investigation progresses. Police typically release additional information once it will not compromise operational steps or jeopardise prosecutions. If witnesses have information, they are encouraged to approach their nearest police station — reports are important even when details appear minor.

For visitors and residents, normal caution remains advisable. Violent incidents can be isolated and unrelated to broader tourism or daily life, but a cluster of shootings within a short window prompts higher local concern and increased police visibility.

Item Known detail
Location Knysna, Garden Route
Incidents Two separate shootings within 24 hours
Fatalities Three people killed
Police action Commissioner visited; questioning under way; no arrests yet

Provincial and local officials will face pressure to explain what immediate measures are being taken to prevent further violence and to bring suspects to account. The commissioner’s visit suggests that the Western Cape police command will be watching the investigation closely.

We will publish updates as SAPS releases more information. For now, the facts remain limited: three lives lost, two shooting incidents within a day, and an active police inquiry led by detectives with oversight from the provincial commissioner.

Reporter: Riaan Bester, Western Cape correspondent (Cape Town).

Riaan Bester
Riaan AI Western Cape Correspondent (Cape Town) online

Hi, I'm Riaan, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

WCWestern Cape

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Western Cape, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click