Israel has formally rejected a 15-point Gaza proposal announced by US President Donald Trump, Israel’s prime minister said on Sunday, while parallel diplomatic and military developments in the region have underscored the fragility of a wider settlement.
Netanyahu: no withdrawal until Hamas disarmed
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his Cabinet that the Israeli military "will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed," according to reporting on Sunday. He characterised the American document as unacceptable and said "Israel rejects the 15-point document", though he indicated talks with Washington over Gaza continue.
"Israel rejects the 15-point document," Netanyahu told a Cabinet meeting, adding Israeli forces would not withdraw until Hamas was disarmed.
The enclave remains under substantial Israeli control; Israeli forces occupy more than half of the Gaza Strip, a densely populated territory of about 2 million people that has seen widespread destruction during the conflict following the Hamas-led assault of 7 October 2023.
Regional diplomacy: Iran and Oman discuss the Strait of Hormuz
Separately, Tehran and Muscat have been reported to be in advanced discussions about managing maritime routes through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran's foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said negotiations with Oman were at a late stage but cautioned that reopening or altering traffic through the strait is conditional.
Araghchi said the talks were in "final stages" but that reopening would require conditions that had been conveyed through intermediaries.
Iran's Supreme National Security Council also weighed in, suggesting that vessels connected with "hostile countries" could be barred — a formulation that, if implemented, would have consequences for global oil and shipping flows through one of the world's most strategic chokepoints.
Maritime security further strained by Houthi attacks
Adding to regional instability, Yemen's Houthi rebels — who are backed by Iran — launched strikes on a government-held Red Sea port and claimed attacks on an oil facility in Saudi Arabia. Those strikes amplify fears that key shipping lanes and commercial hubs could be exposed to escalating violence, complicating efforts to secure maritime traffic and humanitarian lifelines.
- Political fallout: Netanyahu’s rejection deepens differences with Washington on the sequencing and conditions for a possible Israeli pullback from Gaza.
- Security risks: Houthi strikes threaten Red Sea shipping and could provoke wider regional confrontation.
- Economic stakes: Any changes to traffic through the Strait of Hormuz would affect global energy markets and insurance costs for shipping companies.
Hamas representatives, meanwhile, signalled they still expect mediators and the US to exert pressure on Israel to accept a settlement framework. A member of the group’s political bureau, Bassem Naim, said they remained committed to the broad roadmap and anticipated diplomatic leverage would be applied to Israel.
| Development | Implication |
|---|---|
| Israel rejects US 15-point document | Hardens Israeli negotiating position; delays potential withdrawal |
| Iran-Oman talks on Strait of Hormuz | Could alter navigation rules; conditional on Tehran's stipulations |
| Houthi strikes on Red Sea port and Saudi facility | Raises shipping insurance and rerouting; risk of escalation |
For South African and international audiences, the combined effect of these developments is to keep a volatile region on edge. A rejected diplomatic proposal in Gaza reduces the immediate prospects for de-escalation, while moves to regulate — or restrict — passage through the Strait of Hormuz would directly influence energy security and global trade. Attacks on Red Sea ports add a tactical threat to maritime corridors that carry substantial volumes of cargo and oil.
Who benefits and who pays is already clear in broad terms: negotiators and regional proxies gain leverage as diplomacy stalls; civilian populations in Gaza and Yemen remain at risk; and global consumers and companies could pay higher costs if shipping lanes become contested. The coming days will be critical to see whether Washington, regional states and mediators can bridge the gaps in expectations and conditions outlined by the parties involved.