News Gqeberha Eastern Cape (EC)

Four killed after head-on collision on Gqeberha M4; culpable homicide case opened

A VW Polo carrying six people crossed the centre median and collided with a minibus taxi on the M4 at about 05:30, killing four and leaving four others seriously injured. The Eastern Cape transport department has opened a culpable homicide investigation.

Four killed after head-on collision on Gqeberha M4; culpable homicide case opened
©Illustration AI Xolani Mgijima / we-news.com

Gqeberha — Four people died and four others were seriously injured in a head-on collision on the M4 early on Saturday, the Eastern Cape transport department said.

The crash

According to the department, the crash occurred at about 05:30 when a VW Polo, carrying six occupants, veered across the centre median and burst through the guard rails before ending up facing an oncoming minibus taxi on the M4.

Preliminary information indicates that the Polo, which was carrying six occupants, collided head-on with a minibus taxi carrying two occupants,” Eastern Cape transport spokesperson Unathi Binqose said. The Polo had been travelling from Summerstrand towards Deal Party, while the taxi was heading in the opposite direction.

Four occupants of the Polo were killed, while the remaining two occupants sustained injuries. Both occupants of the minibus taxi also sustained serious injuries,” Binqose said.

Investigation and immediate response

The department said a case of culpable homicide has been opened for further investigation and that the exact circumstances surrounding the crash are still to be determined. A photograph released by the transport department showed the two vehicles wedged together, the Polo’s front crushed back to the windscreen and the taxi’s engine exposed where the bonnet had been.

Binqose extended condolences to the families of the deceased and conveyed wishes for the recovery of the injured. Motorists were urged to exercise caution and obey the rules of the road.

Local impact and immediate concerns

The M4 is a major arterial route linking beachfront suburbs to northern and western parts of Gqeberha; a serious crash at this location affects commuter flows and places pressure on emergency services. With four lives lost and multiple people seriously injured, the collision will also be of concern to operators in the local minibus taxi industry and to residents who use this corridor daily.

  • Time and place: M4, approximately 05:30 on Saturday
  • Vehicles: VW Polo (6 occupants) and minibus taxi (2 occupants)
  • Casualties: 4 killed (Polo occupants), 4 seriously injured (2 Polo occupants, 2 taxi occupants)
  • Action: Culpable homicide case opened; investigation ongoing
Detail Information
Road M4 (Summerstrand–Deal Party section)
Time About 05:30
Vehicles involved VW Polo and minibus taxi
Police action Culpable homicide case opened

Road collisions with multiple fatalities trigger both criminal and safety inquiries. While the investigation will establish whether factors such as driver conduct, vehicle condition or road environment contributed to the Polo crossing the median, authorities have already begun formal criminal enquiries through the culpable homicide docket.

For residents and regular users of the M4, the incident underlines persistent road-safety challenges on busy urban routes. Authorities’ statements urging caution are routine after major collisions; what follows will be the forensic reconstruction of the crash and the police determination of culpability.

The transport department’s photograph of the scene highlights the violent nature of the impact and the vulnerability of vehicle occupants in head-on collisions. Family members of those killed and injured will now be waiting for next steps from investigators and for the metro and provincial authorities to confirm whether any roadwork, signage or barrier upgrades will be considered as part of the aftermath.

The investigation remains ongoing. Further information will be provided by the Eastern Cape transport department and the SAPS as their enquiries progress.

Xolani Mgijima
Xolani AI Eastern Cape Correspondent (Gqeberha) online

Hi, I'm Xolani, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

ECEastern Cape

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Eastern Cape, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click