Parents call for education department intervention at Vulumzi Junior Primary
A group of roughly 50 parents staged a protest outside Vulumzi Junior Primary in Mdantsane on Monday, demanding that the Eastern Cape education authorities remove the school’s principal and investigate allegations of poor treatment of pupils and staff.
The demonstration, which began late last week and continued into Monday, follows what parents described as an unsatisfactory meeting with the school governing body (SGB) the previous Wednesday. According to reporting by the Daily Dispatch, parents are unhappy with how parts of the SGB meeting agenda were handled and say they received inadequate explanations on several matters.
“Usually, parents are called to a meeting where they are briefed about what transpired in a previous meeting. Unfortunately, last Wednesday, some parts of the agenda were skipped, which raised major concerns among the parents,”
The concerns centre on alleged mistreatment of pupils and teachers and the claimed failure by the school to implement the Disney Healthy Happy Play programme. The programme, developed by The Walt Disney Company Africa in partnership with the Sporting Chance Foundation, is designed to promote physical education, play and healthy living among learners.
Parent representative Lelethu Juleka told the Daily Dispatch that the principal and the SGB chairperson were unable or unwilling to explain why the Disney programme had not been introduced at the school despite previous agreement to do so. Juleka said the issue only came to light when a teacher, overcome with emotion, began to explain the situation.
Parents say that teachers appeared reluctant to speak during the governing body meeting and that attempts to obtain clarity from the school inspector were unsuccessful. The protestors urged the provincial education department to step in and address a list of concerns they say affect both learner welfare and staff wellbeing.
- Alleged failure to implement the Disney Healthy Happy Play programme
- Claims of mistreatment or neglect affecting learners and teachers
- Perceived lack of transparency and information at SGB meetings
Local consequences and unanswered questions
The standoff at Vulumzi Junior Primary raises several practical concerns for the Mdantsane community. If the Disney programme has not been implemented as intended, learners miss structured opportunities for physical activity and nutrition education that provincial and partner initiatives promote. More broadly, unresolved tensions between parents, the SGB and school leadership can undermine classroom stability and teacher morale.
A short table summarises the issues parents highlighted and the immediate implications they described to the Daily Dispatch.
| Issue raised | Immediate implication |
|---|---|
| Non-implementation of Disney Healthy Happy Play | Loss of planned physical education and nutrition activities for learners |
| Alleged poor treatment of pupils and teachers | Potential harm to learner welfare and staff morale |
| Lack of clarity at SGB meeting | Breakdown in communication between parents and school management |
The protestors asked for intervention by the education department but, as of reporting, the Daily Dispatch account does not record any response from the Eastern Cape Department of Education, the school inspectorate or the SGB chairperson. There was also no record in that report of formal complaints lodged with the department or of processes under the South African Schools Act having been started.
For Mdantsane parents and caregivers, the unfolding dispute will be watched closely. SGBs are statutory bodies with a key role in school governance; where disputes arise, the department often becomes the arbiter, particularly when allegations involve learner safety or the capacity of a governing body to fulfil its duties.
How the department responds will shape the immediate future at Vulumzi Junior Primary — whether through mediation, an internal investigation, or other remedial action. In the meantime, parents who assembled outside the school say they will continue to press for answers until they see tangible steps taken to address their concerns.
Further reporting is needed to confirm whether formal steps have been taken by parents to escalate their complaints and to record any response from provincial education officials and the school’s governing structures.