Board promises classes Sept. 2 despite heavy damage to portables
The Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools board says students at Bethlehem Catholic High School will return to class on Sept. 2 despite a late-night blaze that destroyed newly installed portables and caused smoke and water damage to other units.
Fire crews responded to a report of heavy smoke and flames in a construction area attached to the west-end school around 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 7. Saskatoon Police have labelled the blaze "suspicious" and a fire investigator is working to determine the cause and estimate damage costs.
Board chair Diane Boyko told media the situation will be "a unique situation" when school starts and that staff are preparing modified arrangements to ensure students have what they need. "There’s going to be a little bit of modification on some of the classes, but we’re confident in our staff that they’re going to do a good job making sure that the students have what they need to have a successful year," she said.
"We were blessed that the fire department came so quickly because it also mitigated a lot of what could have happened in the main body of the school."
Scope of the damage
Work had been underway to add four new portables; the board says those units were destroyed. The school also uses 22 other portables, several of which suffered smoke and water damage and will be out of commission when classes resume.
| Item | Quantity / status |
|---|---|
| New portables under construction | 4 — destroyed |
| Existing portables on site | 22 — some with smoke/water damage |
| Students affected | Approximately 1,500 enrolled at the school |
Plans and constraints
Boyko said the board is developing a plan to accommodate the school’s population within the main building, but she declined to provide full details, saying families will be notified next week. "Everything’s on the table," she added, noting that the board is considering whether remediation or rebuilding of portables will be required once the investigator’s report is complete.
There is currently no firm estimate for the cost of damages. Boyko noted the board paid approximately $700,000 for each of the new portables, but the total loss and overall financial impact will depend on the investigator’s findings and insurance or rebuilding decisions.
Community and emergency response
School officials expressed gratitude for the quick response from Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services, saying rapid action helped prevent further damage to the main school building. Police continue to investigate the circumstances of the fire.
For families, the coming weeks will be a period of uncertainty. Parents and students can expect communications from Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools about classroom locations, modified schedules and any temporary changes to transportation or programming. Administrators have emphasised continuity of learning as the priority.
- Students will start school on Sept. 2 as scheduled.
- All portables will be out of commission when school begins.
- The cause of the fire is under investigation and cost estimates are pending.
As investigators work to identify the origin of the fire and as the board lays out a plan for the start of the school year, the focus for staff remains supporting students and minimising disruption to classes. The board has committed to share details with families as they are finalised.