Upper Subansiri, Arunachal Pradesh: Three people were confirmed dead and one remained unaccounted for after a massive landslide struck a PM Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) road-cutting site in the Sinalita Belt near Nacho village, officials said on Saturday.
Casualties and those affected
The District Disaster Management Officer (DDMO) of Upper Subansiri reported that recovery teams retrieved the bodies of Lt. Tadu Baki, Lt. Taji Rai and Lt. Babul Ali from the site. One labourer, Lt. Markarosh Basumatary, remained trapped under the debris, the DDMO said.
An additional worker, Sonar Basumatary, sustained injuries and was being treated at the Daporijo hospital, according to official information released by district authorities.
| Status | Name |
|---|---|
| Deceased | Lt. Tadu Baki |
| Deceased | Lt. Taji Rai |
| Deceased | Lt. Babul Ali |
| Missing / Trapped | Lt. Markarosh Basumatary |
| Injured | Sonar Basumatary (receiving treatment at Daporijo hospital) |
Rescue operations and challenges
Search-and-rescue teams, including local disaster personnel and field crews engaged on the PMGSY project, were at the site working to locate the missing labourer. Officials said operations had been hampered by ongoing rainfall, unstable slopes and accumulation of debris and water on adjacent routes.
Authorities reported plans to resume and intensify rescue work on Saturday morning, while also maintaining precautions against further slope failures. The DDMO highlighted that the terrain in the Sinalita Belt is fragile and that the risk of subsequent landslips remained a major obstacle to recovery.
Impact on connectivity and local communities
The landslide has severely disrupted road connectivity in the area, officials said, as heavy debris and water have blocked sections of local access routes. Residents of the Sinalita Belt and neighbouring hamlets expressed concern and called for the deployment of additional rescue personnel and machinery to clear the roads and assist displaced families.
- Road clearance: Blocked routes have stalled movement of emergency vehicles and supplies.
- Displacement: Affected families require immediate relief and temporary shelter until access is restored.
- Health: Injured workers have been moved to Daporijo hospital for treatment; no further health figures have been released.
Wider weather context
Officials noted heavy rains across parts of Arunachal Pradesh, including Dibang Valley and Upper Subansiri, causing flooding and road disruptions in several locations. The downpour has complicated rescue efforts and increased the risk of further slope instability in upland construction zones.
Given the circumstances, district authorities urged caution around hill slopes and construction sites and advised residents to avoid movement in high-risk zones until assessments are completed and routes are cleared.
What authorities say and next steps
The DDMO and local administration have been coordinating with rescue teams at the site. Officials indicated that recovery and clearance operations will continue and be scaled up subject to weather and safety assessments. No further official casualty or displacement figures were released at the time of reporting.
Residents and local leaders have requested additional manpower and equipment to expedite search-and-rescue work and to restore road links critical for relief distribution. Authorities have been urged to ensure that displaced families receive timely assistance and to review slope safety protocols at ongoing road-construction sites.
Further updates are awaited from the district administration as rescue teams continue efforts at the landslide site.