New COVID-19 infection confirmed in Bhubaneswar; no sign of outbreak yet
A 50-year-old man from the Baramunda area of Bhubaneswar has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently undergoing treatment in the isolation ward of a private hospital in the city, according to hospital sources. This is the first reported COVID-19 case in the state capital this year, officials and reports said on Tuesday.
Hospital authorities said the patient was diagnosed after undergoing COVID-19 testing and has been admitted for isolation and care. The Odisha Health Department had, however, not received formal intimation from the hospital at the time of reporting, Public Health Director Dr Rabindranath Mishra told The New Indian Express.
"The health department had not yet received official information about the case," Dr Rabindranath Mishra was reported as saying.
State surveillance and previous infections
The Bhubaneswar case comes less than a month after a COVID-19 infection was detected in Ganjam district. On July 22, a 54-year-old woman from Purushottampur tested positive and was admitted to MKCG Medical College and Hospital in Berhampur. Health authorities said that, based on available information, there is no indication of a widespread outbreak in the State at present.
In July, the Odisha Health Department had directed hospitals to keep isolation facilities prepared, increase surveillance and have rapid response teams on alert—particularly in districts bordering Andhra Pradesh, where infections had been reported. Hospitals across the State were instructed to share information immediately whenever COVID-19 cases are detected.
What authorities and hospitals are doing
According to the available reports, the following steps have been or are being taken:
- Isolation and treatment of the confirmed patient in a private hospital in Bhubaneswar.
- Continued advice from the Health Department for hospitals to maintain isolation facilities and report cases promptly.
- Heightened surveillance in districts bordering Andhra Pradesh and deployment of rapid response teams as required.
| Detail | Information reported |
|---|---|
| Location of case | Baramunda, Bhubaneswar |
| Age of patient | 50 years |
| Current status | Admitted in isolation at a private hospital |
| Previous recent case in Odisha | 54-year-old woman, Purushottampur (Ganjam), admitted to MKCG, Berhampur (22 July) |
Health advisory for Bhubaneswar residents
Public health officials continue to urge calm but stress vigilance. Based on existing departmental guidance and routine public-health practice, residents should follow these precautions:
- Monitor for respiratory symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, breathlessness) and seek testing if symptoms develop.
- Maintain mask use in crowded and indoor settings, especially around elderly and immunocompromised people.
- Follow hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette; avoid large gatherings if unwell.
- If diagnosed or identified as a close contact, cooperate with local health teams for isolation and contact tracing.
Authorities have asked hospitals to remain prepared and to notify the Health Department promptly of any detected cases. Officials emphasised that immediate reporting helps ensure timely contact tracing and containment measures.
At present, there is no detailed information available publicly on the patient’s travel history, source of infection or the number of close contacts. Health teams are expected to investigate the case and assess any further risk to the community.
Bhubaneswar residents are advised to keep track of official updates from the Odisha Health Department and local municipal health officials for testing centres, isolation protocols and any additional public-health advisories.