Sixth suspect nabbed in Cuttack after return from Visakhapatnam; forwarded to court
CUTTACK: Police on Sunday arrested the sixth accused in the gang-rape of a 26-year-old mall employee that took place along the Cuttack–Chandbali state highway under Nischintakoili police limits, officials said.
The arrested youth, a 19-year-old from Kendrapara district, was apprehended near OMP Square after information reached a special police team that he had returned from Visakhapatnam. Police said he had earlier fled to Kolkata and then to Visakhapatnam to evade arrest and had sold his mobile phone following the crime.
“We received information that the accused had returned from Visakhapatnam following which a special police team nabbed him from near OMP Square today. He was forwarded to court after necessary medical examination,” said Salepur SDPO Biranchi Narayan Pati.
As the authorities prepare for a test identification (TI) parade, the identity of the accused has not been disclosed, the SDPO added.
Details of the attack and immediate arrests
Police have said the incident occurred in the early hours of 12 August. The victim, who works at a mall in Bhubaneswar, was returning to Kendrapara with a male friend in a car along the Cuttack–Chandbali state highway. The pair stopped near a petrol pump when the man felt drowsy and decided to rest inside the vehicle.
According to police accounts, six men attacked the car by smashing its windows, abducted the two occupants in their vehicle and took them to an isolated field at Aenda. The male companion was then thrown out of the vehicle and the woman was allegedly gang-raped. Five accused were arrested the following day on 13 August.
Procedural steps and next actions
- The newly arrested accused was medically examined and forwarded to court, police said.
- Authorities will conduct a test identification (TI) parade as part of the identification process; therefore the accused’s name remains withheld for now.
- Investigating teams continue to examine movement and communications records to corroborate the sequence of events and arrests.
The case, which drew strong public attention, continues under active investigation. Police statements indicate coordinated action between local teams to trace suspects who fled the district after the crime.
Local context and safety precautions for travellers
Crimes on isolated stretches of state highways, particularly during early morning hours, remain a safety concern for residents of Cuttack and neighbouring districts. This incident highlights persistent risks when vehicles stop at remote locations or petrol pumps late at night or pre-dawn.
Practical precautions for residents and travellers that police and community groups recommend include:
- Avoid stopping in isolated areas; if rest is required, use well-lit, populated fuel stations or designated rest points.
- Keep emergency contacts saved and share live location with trusted contacts when travelling at odd hours.
- Report suspicious behaviour immediately to the nearest police station or dial emergency numbers.
Police have emphasised that the investigation is ongoing and that more procedural steps, including the TI parade, will shape the next phase of legal proceedings.
| Key date | Development |
|---|---|
| 12 August | Alleged abduction and gang-rape on Cuttack–Chandbali highway at Aenda |
| 13 August | Five accused arrested |
| 17 August | Sixth accused (19-year-old) arrested near OMP Square after return from Visakhapatnam |
Authorities continue to appeal for public cooperation in the investigation. Further updates will depend on the outcome of the TI parade and subsequent legal procedures.