Violent confrontation at PMG: central thoroughfare reopened after arrests and seizures
Bhubaneswar, Aug 19 — A strike by drivers and riders registered with app-based ride-hailing platforms escalated into violence in central Bhubaneswar on Wednesday, leaving police personnel injured and prompting multiple arrests as authorities restored normal traffic flow.
Police said hundreds of drivers and bike riders, who began a cease-work protest on Aug 17 demanding a seven-point charter that included a fare hike, reduction in application fees and social security benefits, took out a rally from Raj Mahal Square and parked their vehicles along Mahatma Gandhi Marg, blocking the road and disrupting movement around Master Canteen Square and areas near the railway station.
According to Narasingha Bhol, Additional Commissioner of Police (Cuttack-Bhubaneswar), when law enforcement personnel moved in to persuade the protesters to clear the thoroughfare the agitators "allegedly turned violent" and began pelting stones. Police reported that three police vans and several state-run Ama buses were vandalised during the confrontation.
"We are examining the CCTV footage. Strict legal action will be taken against all those who indulged in the violence," said Narasingha Bhol.
Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police Jagmohan Meena said the force had earlier permitted a demonstration on Mahatma Gandhi Marg on Aug 17, but organisers continued the agitation for subsequent days and blocked a major city road, causing significant inconvenience to commuters. He confirmed that police detained protesters and seized vehicles parked at the protest site.
| Detail | Reported figure / action |
|---|---|
| Police personnel injured | 13 (including inspector in charge of Capital Police Station) |
| Protesters arrested | About 80 (vehicles at site seized) |
| Public transport vandalised | Several Ama buses and three police vans |
Impact on commuters and police deployment
With a large number of cabs, bikes and auto-rickshaws off the roads during the strike, commuters who depend on these services were severely affected. Police said the situation had returned to normal by late Wednesday and vehicular movement had resumed on the cleared stretches. Authorities added that an adequate force would be deployed at the Lower PMG area and would remain stationed there on Thursday.
- Authorities seized vehicles parked at the protest site as part of enforcement action.
- Police said legal proceedings will be initiated against those identified in CCTV footage.
- Officials described the continued agitation beyond the permitted date as illegal and disruptive.
The protest highlights ongoing tensions between app-based platform drivers and companies over fares, fees and social-security provisions — demands that have prompted similar actions in other cities. In Bhubaneswar the immediate effects were concentrated on central PMG Square and nearby commuting corridors.
Residents and commuters are advised to allow extra travel time when passing the PMG–Master Canteen–Railway Station corridor until police confirm normalcy across all lanes. Those planning travel by bus should check for any temporary schedule changes to Ama buses that serve central city routes. People travelling to or from Lower PMG are likely to encounter a visible police presence for the next 24 hours.
Police said they are scrutinising recorded footage to identify the individuals responsible for violence and property damage, and said strict legal action would follow against those found involved.
Further developments on the negotiation between driver groups and ride-hailing firms, and any mediation by local authorities, were not immediately available.
— City police statements and official figures form the basis of this report.