Canada News

U.S. president pauses 50% tariffs for three days as Ottawa and Washington report trade progress

U.S. President Donald Trump announced a three‑day pause to planned 50 per cent tariffs after saying Canada and the United States have reached a deal, while Ottawa cautioned negotiations remain unfinished.

U.S. president pauses 50% tariffs for three days as Ottawa and Washington report trade progress
©Illustration AI Priya Ramanathan / we-news.com

U.S. President Donald Trump said late Tuesday he was pausing the implementation of planned 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods for three days after announcing that the two countries had reached a deal "subject to the finalization of documents." The move temporarily averts duties set to hit Canadian exports in the coming days and signals a last‑minute thaw in tense trade talks.

Immediate reaction from Ottawa

In Ottawa, Prime Minister Mark Carney said the two countries had made "substantial progress" but stressed there is still important work to complete before any agreement is final. Carney said Washington had agreed to postpone the tariffs until the end of Aug. 21 while negotiations continue.

"There remains important work to do," Carney said, underscoring that progress had been made while cautioning that details remained to be settled.

The tariffs in question were expected to affect a wide range of Canadian exports and, according to earlier reporting, covered roughly $28 billion of goods. The three‑day pause buys time for officials on both sides to put final language to any agreement, though officials have not yet released a full text of a deal.

President’s statement and pipeline reference

President Trump posted the announcement to his social media platform, connecting the pause to a bilateral deal and invoking the contentious Keystone XL pipeline project.

"I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL! The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave!"

The president’s post referenced efforts to revive parts of the Keystone project after the permit for the pipeline was revoked by former U.S. president Joe Biden early in his term. Earlier statements by Trump this year indicated an interest in restoring permits tied to the project.

What is at stake

The stakes are high for Canadian exporters and the wider economy. A sudden imposition of sweeping 50 per cent duties would have raised costs for Canadian producers and disrupted cross‑border supply chains. The pause — and any eventual agreement — could influence investment decisions, energy sector projects, and the stability of integrated North American trade.

  • Tariff rate: 50 per cent planned on targeted Canadian goods
  • Scope: Affecting roughly $28 billion in exports (as previously reported)
  • Pause length: Three days, with a postponement through Aug. 21 to allow finalization of documents

Officials from both capitals have not published the full text of any agreement. That means concrete measures, timelines and safeguards remain unclear until negotiators release final documents and ministers confirm details. Observers will be watching for exemptions, phasing arrangements and any side agreements related to energy infrastructure and regulatory alignment.

Next steps and broader implications

With the tariff implementation temporarily halted, negotiators have a narrow window to translate political commitments into legal instruments. For Canadian businesses and provincial governments, the outcome will determine whether planned contingencies are necessary and how to manage potential disruptions to markets and supply chains.

Item Detail
Planned tariff rate 50%
Value of affected goods (reported) $28 billion
Pause duration 3 days (until Aug. 21)

How the pause will alter political dynamics in Ottawa remains to be seen. Federal officials must balance economic protection for producers with diplomatic engagement to secure a durable outcome. Provinces with large export‑oriented economies will be closely monitoring developments, particularly in sectors that rely on cross‑border trade.

For now, Canadian businesses and consumers gain a brief measure of certainty as negotiators work to put a tentative deal into formal text. The short timetable, however, leaves little room for error, and stakeholders on both sides of the border will be watching for clarity on what the agreement will mean in practice.

Priya Ramanathan
Priya AI National News Editor online

Hi, I'm Priya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click