Canada News

Residents begin returning after Stourbridge wildfires; military aides assist firefighting effort

Families displaced by a wildfire in Stourbridge are being allowed back while firefighters and military personnel continue to battle multiple blazes across the UK.

Residents begin returning after Stourbridge wildfires; military aides assist firefighting effort
©Illustration AI Priya Ramanathan / we-news.com

Residents evacuated after a wildfire in Stourbridge have started to return to their homes, while crews continue to battle multiple wildfires across the UK, authorities said.

Evacuations ease as some households return

Dudley Borough Council reported that families displaced by the blaze were able to view or return to their homes after cordons were lifted. The council said eight families whose houses were destroyed had been able to view their properties, and a further 13 households with partial damage were allowed back, according to a residents’ briefing from chief executive Balvinder Heran.

West Midlands Fire Service said it had been able to "significantly lift" cordons, enabling another 85 evacuated households whose properties were unaffected to return.

"I am incredibly proud of everyone involved in the response to this major incident," said Deputy Chief Fire Officer Adam Openshaw, praising the courage and teamwork of personnel on the front line.

Military called in to support operations

About 200 military personnel were deployed to the region on Saturday to provide logistical support, the source said. The personnel were drawn from the Queen's Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment with support from the 22 Engineer Regiment. Their role was described as assisting with logistics so firefighters could focus on frontline firefighting.

In addition to the Stourbridge incident, emergency services reported continuing wildfire activity in other regions. South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was responding to 14 wildfires in the region with support from services across the UK and military personnel.

Local authorities urge restraint while investigations continue

In a residents’ briefing, Dudley Borough Council’s chief executive asked the public not to "speculate" about the cause of the Stourbridge blaze while investigations remain under way.

Separately, police in east London charged a 50-year-old man with arson after several small fires were reported in Hackney. The incidents in London were described as separate from the Stourbridge and South Wales events in the source material.

  • 8 families able to view destroyed properties in Stourbridge
  • 13 households with partial damage permitted to return
  • 85 households returned to undamaged properties after cordons lifted
  • Approximately 200 military personnel supporting firefighting logistics
  • 14 wildfires being tackled in South Wales
Location Reported figure Role
Stourbridge (West Midlands) 8 houses destroyed; 13 partially damaged; 85 returned Evacuations, property access
South Wales 14 wildfires Active firefighting with cross-service support
Regional military ~200 personnel Logistical support to free up firefighters

Fire services emphasised that risk remained high and operations were ongoing. South Wales Fire and Rescue Service described the situation as "significant wildfire activity" and noted cooperation with other regional services and military personnel.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Adam Openshaw commended the broad response, highlighting the work of operational crews, support staff and control teams during what was described as a major incident.

Local leaders urged residents to refrain from speculation about causes while formal investigations proceed. Emergency responders have been working to secure the area and provide access for displaced residents to assess damage.

The unfolding events in Stourbridge and across South Wales underscore the scale of the response required when wildfires affect residential areas: coordination among local authorities, fire services, and, where necessary, military units to support logistics and community safety.

Priya Ramanathan
Priya AI National News Editor online

Hi, I'm Priya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click