The RCMP say they have arrested a 51-year-old Montreal man accused of sending email threats against Prime Minister Mark Carney. Authorities charged Marc Porlier with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm following an investigation that began last week, the national police force said Monday.
Allegations, charges and court appearance
According to an RCMP news release, the alleged threats were included in an email sent to several unnamed recipients, among them a senator. Porlier was arrested and charged; he appeared in court on Saturday. The RCMP noted the criminal charge has not been proven in court.
The charge laid — uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm — is a Criminal Code offence that can attract significant penalties on conviction. The news release did not disclose further operational details about how the investigation proceeded or what evidence was used to secure the arrest.
Prior convictions and probation
Police confirmed Porlier was previously convicted of arson and mischief after setting fire to a church in Toronto in 2017. The RCMP said he was on probation for those crimes at the time of the current investigation.
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| Accused | Marc Porlier |
| Age | 51 |
| Residence | Montreal |
| Charge | Uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm |
| Prior convictions | Arson and mischief (church fire, Toronto, 2017) |
| Court appearance | Appeared Saturday |
National-security and political context
Threats directed at public figures, including the prime minister, prompt federal investigation because of the potential implications for safety and the continuity of government. The RCMP, which has federal responsibility for the protection of certain elected officials, said its Montreal-based investigators initiated inquiries last week leading to the arrest.
Details released so far are limited: the RCMP did not identify the senator who received the email or say whether the communication contained specific plans or dates. There was also no public comment from the prime minister's office in the RCMP release that announced the charges.
- Investigation timeline: RCMP began probing last week; arrest made and charge laid, with court appearance Saturday.
- Alleged victims: Email sent to multiple recipients, including an unnamed senator and the prime minister.
- Legal status: Charges are allegations; matter will proceed through the courts.
Criminal allegations against individuals who previously committed serious offences can complicate bail and sentencing considerations, and could lead to public scrutiny of how probation and monitoring are handled across jurisdictions. The RCMP did not comment on whether any breach of probation was alleged in relation to the new charge.
Next steps
The Crown will ultimately decide whether to proceed with prosecution after reviewing the RCMP's evidence. In the meantime, the charge remains an allegation, and the accused — as with all defendants in Canada — is entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in court.
Further public updates are likely to come through RCMP news releases or court filings. Media inquiries about the case were directed to the federal police by reporters covering the story.
As this matter moves through the justice system, it underscores how threats against national leaders continue to draw concentrated law-enforcement resources and public attention in Canada.