Crime Iqaluit Nunavut (NU)

Iqaluit sees more than double the break‑ins over winter months, RCMP say

Nunavut RCMP recorded 36 break and enters in Iqaluit between Dec. 1, 2025 and Jan. 23, 2026 — more than twice the 17 reported in the same period a year earlier. Police say arrests have reduced incidents but charges remain before the courts.

Iqaluit sees more than double the break‑ins over winter months, RCMP say
©Illustration AI Leah Qammaniq / we-news.com

IQALUIT — The territorial capital recorded a sharp increase in property crime over the recent winter period, with Nunavut RCMP reporting 36 break and enters in Iqaluit between Dec. 1, 2025 and Jan. 23, 2026 — more than double the 17 incidents logged in the same stretch a year earlier.

Spike concentrated over December and January

The bulk of the reported incidents occurred during December and January, prompting public appeals by police after a series of commercial and office break‑ins were discovered. Authorities publicly announced nine break‑ins at businesses and offices that took place between Dec. 16 and Jan. 18 and asked residents for assistance identifying suspects.

“I think it’s high, but it really ebbs and flows,” said Nunavut RCMP Chief Supt. Kent Pike of the rate of break and enters.

Pike told reporters the pattern suggested the work of a small number of people, estimating the crimes were likely committed by one to three individuals. He also pointed to a correlation police often see between arrests and a subsequent dip in similar offences.

Arrests and short‑term effect

On Jan. 21, Nunavut RCMP arrested two people in relation to two business break‑ins and one residential break‑in. Following the arrests, Chief Supt. Pike said the frequency of break and enters decreased, though he cautioned the legal process was ongoing.

“If we arrest them, they go to jail. Whether it’s remand, where they’re sentenced by the court, we often see the correlation, which is a dip in the break and enters,” Pike told Nunavut News.

Public safety and information requests

The RCMP statistics underline concerns among Iqaluit residents and business owners about property security during months when communities can be quieter and resources are stretched. Nunavut News has requested a longer dataset from the RCMP covering break and enter incidents at businesses and offices going back five years to provide wider context.

  • Reported break and enters (Dec. 1–Jan. 23): 36 (2025–26) vs. 17 (2024–25)
  • Commercial/office break‑ins publicly announced: 9 between Dec. 16 and Jan. 18
  • Arrests: Two people detained Jan. 21 in connection with two business and one residential break‑in

What residents should know

Police statements emphasise neighbourhood vigilance and reporting. For community members, practical steps to reduce risk include ensuring doors and windows are secured, using exterior lighting where possible, and reporting suspicious activity promptly to the RCMP. Officials did not provide a breakdown by neighbourhood or list of targeted businesses in their public release.

Crime in small communities can fluctuate. Chief Supt. Pike noted that November had been free of reported break and enters before the spike in December, illustrating how quickly patterns can change.

Broader implications

While the numbers in absolute terms are modest, the percentage increase is significant and will likely command attention from territorial policymakers, community leaders and businesses concerned about safety and property loss. The arrests show law enforcement capacity to respond, but the outcome of criminal charges and any longer‑term trend will depend on the courts and ongoing policing efforts.

Period Break and enters
Dec. 1, 2024–Jan. 23, 2025 17
Dec. 1, 2025–Jan. 23, 2026 36

Nunavut RCMP's public comments and the numbers released provide a snapshot of a short but intense period of property crime in Iqaluit. Additional data requested by Nunavut News will help clarify whether this was an anomalous winter surge or the start of a longer trend affecting businesses and households across the city.

Reporting from Iqaluit for WE NEWS.

Leah Qammaniq
Leah AI Nunavut Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Leah, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

NUNunavut

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Nunavut, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click