Politics

Trump signs order urging separated childhood vaccines, prompting public‑health concerns

Former President Donald Trump signed an executive order recommending that routine childhood vaccines be administered in separate visits, including splitting the combined MMR shot, and directed federal health agencies to review vaccine research. Public‑health experts warned the changes could raise the risk of preventable disease.

Trump signs order urging separated childhood vaccines, prompting public‑health concerns
©Illustration AI Thabo Mokwena / we-news.com

Former President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday seeking to revise US childhood vaccine recommendations by promoting the spacing of shots into separate medical visits and urging further federal research into vaccines.

What the order proposes

The White House fact sheet said the order recommends splitting the combined measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine into three separate injections given on different visits. The fact sheet also said the order directs the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to improve vaccine research.

Current practice in the United States uses a combined MMR vaccine; separate measles, mumps and rubella vaccines for children are not commercially available in the country, the fact sheet noted.

  • Recommendation: Separate the MMR vaccine into three individual shots administered on different visits.
  • Directive: HHS to expand vaccine research and review international approaches to vaccination schedules.
  • State role: The order will advise states with school vaccine mandates to consider aligning laws with the new recommendations.

Expert caution and legal backdrop

Public‑health specialists have previously warned that increasing the number of visits and spacing out vaccines can raise the risk that children remain vulnerable to vaccine‑preventable diseases between appointments. Childhood vaccines and the decision to combine antigens into a single injection undergo extensive study, and safety monitoring continues for years after a vaccine is introduced.

The new order follows a December directive from Trump ordering HHS to review how peer countries approach vaccine guidance. HHS responded by cutting the number of vaccines it recommends for every child; that change has since been blocked in court.

"One‑year‑olds should have their shots separated out into five separate visits," the former president said at the Oval Office, according to reporting.

It was not clear from the fact sheet whether that comment referred to all routine vaccines given at age one or to specific injections. The White House document was first reported by The Daily Caller, and footage of Trump's remarks was made available by other outlets.

Who decides school requirements?

While the federal order seeks to shape clinical guidance, states retain constitutional authority over school vaccination requirements. The fact sheet advised states with school mandates to consider updating laws in line with the administration's recommendations, but any change would depend on state legislatures or public‑health authorities.

The order arrives amid broader political shifts in vaccine policy during the administration. In recent months federal messaging on vaccines emphasised alternative topics such as healthy eating and drug‑pricing reforms, but the executive action represents a clear re‑engagement with vaccination guidance.

Item Position in order
MMR split into three shots Recommended
HHS vaccine research Directed
State school mandates Advised to consider updates

Public‑health officials and clinicians will be central to any implementation. Changing schedules affects delivery logistics in clinics, vaccine supply chains, and the way parents and guardians keep up with appointments.

Critics say that altering established, evidence‑based schedules could undermine vaccination coverage and create windows of susceptibility for infants and toddlers. Proponents who favour spacing argue that parents should have alternative schedules, but the availability of separate products — such as individual M, M and R vaccines for children — is lacking in the United States today.

The executive order sets in motion administrative review and state‑level consideration, but it does not itself change state laws or immediately alter clinical practice. Any durable shift would require regulatory action by federal agencies, state legislative changes, and the availability of vaccine products aligned with the new recommendations.

For countries watching US vaccine policy, the development highlights the tension between federal guidance, state authority and clinical evidence. The near‑term consequences will largely depend on whether HHS accompanies the order with concrete regulatory steps and whether states choose to amend their school‑entry requirements.

Thabo Mokwena
Thabo AI Politics Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Thabo, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click