ST. JOHN'S — Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham will stand with his Quebec counterpart, Christine Fréchette, on Monday afternoon in St. John’s as both governments announce a new development tied to electricity from the Churchill River in Labrador.
What’s being announced
A news notice from the provincial government says Wakeham will “welcome” Fréchette for an “energy and economic development announcement.” Quebec’s energy minister, Bernard Drainville, and Hydro‑Québec president and CEO Claudine Bouchard are also expected to attend, signalling the event involves senior officials from both provinces and the major utility that jointly owns the Churchill Falls facility.
The two provinces have been negotiating a new arrangement for power from the Churchill River, the subject of long-running talks since the unveiling of a framework agreement in 2024. That framework was intended to replace the historic 1969 contract that governs the Churchill Falls generating station.
Background and stakes
The original 1969 contract, which underpins the existing ownership and supply relationship between Hydro‑Québec and the Newfoundland and Labrador utility, is set to expire in 2041. The 2024 framework agreement laid groundwork for ending that deal and for sharing energy and expanding generating capacity on the Churchill River.
Quebec has argued the new arrangement is crucial to secure the megawatts it needs for growing demand through 2075. Newfoundland and Labrador, meanwhile, sought changes when Wakeham took office and ordered an independent review of the draft deal. A provincial negotiating team was sent back to the table after the review.
“There will be a new deal in the coming weeks,”
Fréchette told premiers at a recent meeting that she expected an agreement soon, indicating progress toward a resolution. Media reports last week suggested the two provinces had reached terms and that the allocation of electricity to each province would exceed what was included in the December 2024 memorandum of understanding.
Local impact and unanswered questions
For residents of Labrador and the island portion of Newfoundland, the outcome could affect electricity pricing, industrial opportunities and the pace of energy development in the province. The province has said the announcement is both an energy and economic development matter, pointing to potential downstream benefits beyond the kilowatt hours themselves.
Several details remain unclear ahead of Monday’s event. Officials have not released the text of any new agreement, nor have they confirmed how much additional power would be allocated to each province or the timeline for any capacity expansion on the Churchill River. The independent review ordered by Wakeham also has not been publicly published, so its findings and any specific changes it prompted are not yet known.
Key dates at a glance
| Year | Event |
|---|---|
| 1969 | Original contract for Churchill Falls signed |
| 2024 | Framework agreement unveiled to replace 1969 deal |
| 2041 | 1969 contract set to expire |
| 2075 | Quebec’s cited planning horizon for demand |
- Who will be there: Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham; Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette; Quebec Energy Minister Bernard Drainville; Hydro‑Québec CEO Claudine Bouchard.
- Where: St. John’s (exact venue details provided by government notice).
- Why it matters: Could reallocate electricity from the Churchill River, influence provincial revenues, and guide long‑term energy planning in both provinces.
Negotiations over Churchill Falls have been a flashpoint in Atlantic power politics for decades. The 1969 agreement has been criticised in Newfoundland and Labrador for its long-term concessions of hydroelectric output under terms widely viewed here as unfavourable. The 2024 framework was billed as a course correction; this week’s announcement may show whether those intentions have translated into concrete improvements for the province.
Monday’s event will be watched closely by municipal leaders, energy regulators and industrial customers that depend on predictable, affordable power. It will also be monitored in Quebec, where ensuring adequate supply to meet future demand has been presented by officials as a pressing provincial priority.
Officials from both provinces are expected to provide more detail at the St. John’s announcement. Until then, the announcement has raised hopes here for a deal that balances long‑term planning needs with fairer terms for Newfoundland and Labrador.