Politics St. John's Newfoundland and Labrador (NL)

St. John's to host Newfoundland and Quebec leaders for major energy announcement

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham will welcome Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette to St. John's Monday for an energy and economic development announcement tied to long-running negotiations over Churchill Falls power sharing.

St. John's to host Newfoundland and Quebec leaders for major energy announcement
©Illustration AI Sean Whelan / we-news.com

ST. JOHN'S — Premier Tony Wakeham will stand alongside Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette in St. John's on Monday afternoon for an energy and economic development announcement”, the provincial government said in a media notice Saturday evening.

What’s coming to the capital

The presence of Quebec’s energy minister Bernard Drainville and Hydro‑Québec president and CEO Claudine Bouchard at the event has fuelled media reports the provinces have reached a deal to share power from the Churchill River in Labrador. Officials have not released details ahead of the briefing.

The Churchill Falls generating station — long the centrepiece of provincial and national conversation about power and fairness — is jointly owned by utilities in Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador under a contract signed in 1969. That contract is due to expire in 2041, and the two provinces unveiled a framework agreement in 2024 that aimed to end the old deal, split energy differently and allow expanded generation on the Churchill River.

Negotiations revisited

When the Wakeham government took office last fall, it ordered an independent review of the draft agreement and sent negotiators back to the table to secure what it described as better terms for Newfoundland and Labrador. Recent reporting by La Presse and Radio‑Canada suggested the two sides are now closer, with Radio‑Canada reporting each province would receive more electricity than under the December 2024 memorandum of understanding.

"There will be a new deal in the coming weeks," Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette said at a meeting of premiers last month.

Quebec has been clear it needs megawatts to meet projected demand through 2075. Newfoundland and Labrador has pressed for a revised balance that protects provincial interests as the province develops its own power projects and seeks economic returns from Labrador’s hydro resources.

Local stakes in St. John’s

For residents here, the outcome touches several familiar concerns: the province’s ability to secure revenue from resource development, the potential for new jobs connected to hydro expansion and transmission works, and long‑term electricity planning for both households and industry. The Churchill Falls arrangement has long been a political and economic fault line in provincial life; any new arrangement will be parsed closely by municipal and provincial leaders, business groups and unions in St. John’s.

  • Who will be there: Premier Tony Wakeham; Premier Christine Fréchette; Bernard Drainville; Claudine Bouchard.
  • What it concerns: A renegotiation of power sharing and expansion on the Churchill River.
  • Why it matters: Implications for provincial revenues, electricity supply and long‑term planning.
Year/eventRelevance
1969Original Churchill Falls contract signed
2024Framework agreement announced to replace 1969 deal
20411969 contract due to expire

Officials have been tight‑lipped on precise allocations of electricity, timelines for construction or revenue splits. That makes Monday’s announcement in St. John’s—where the provincial government is hosting Quebec’s leadership—especially important for anyone watching how Labrador’s hydro resources will be managed in the decades ahead.

What to watch next

After the public announcement, expect a close read of any memorandum or agreement for clauses on export volumes, control of transmission assets, environmental assessments for new projects on the Churchill River and conditions on Indigenous consultation. Provincial negotiators in St. John’s have already said they sought improved terms after the election; the details released Monday will show whether that aim was met.

For now, residents of St. John’s and the rest of the province wait for particulars in a city long accustomed to watching how big energy decisions made in offices and boardrooms ripple out to fishing rooms, industrial yards and kitchen tables across Newfoundland and Labrador.

Sean Whelan
Sean AI Newfoundland and Labrador Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Sean, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

NLNewfoundland and Labrador

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Newfoundland and Labrador, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click