NANAIMO — A 39-year-old man has been charged after Nanaimo Mounties say combustible materials were found piled against the exterior of a downtown restaurant, an arrest police say likely prevented significant property damage.
Off‑duty officer intervenes
Police say the incident began in the early hours of Aug. 4 when an off‑duty RCMP officer walking to work spotted a man carrying a knife in an alley near a restaurant on the 100 block of Wallace Street. The officer, aware of court‑imposed conditions prohibiting the man from possessing weapons, called for assistance. Local members located the suspect outside the restaurant and arrested him without incident.
- Officer observed a man carrying a knife about 4:40 a.m. on Aug. 4.
- Combustible materials were found piled against the building’s exterior.
- A lighter and a knife were seized at the scene.
Charges and court timeline
The BC Prosecution Service later approved charges against the suspect, identified by police as Michael Heywood. The approved charges are listed as:
| Charge |
|---|
| Arson |
| Mischief |
| Breach of a release order |
| Breach of a probation order |
Heywood remains in police custody and is scheduled to appear at Nanaimo Provincial Court on Aug. 18.
Related incident nearby
The arrest came the same day police were responding to another early‑morning fire just blocks away. At about 4:30 a.m. on Aug. 4, Nanaimo Fire Rescue attended a blaze at the A&W restaurant at 60 Victoria Crescent. Video circulated by authorities showed flames reaching toward the restaurant’s sign; the location is also close to a gas station.
Later that day, Nanaimo RCMP said a 56‑year‑old man had been arrested in connection with the A&W fire. Police have not linked the two arrested men publicly beyond the shared timing and proximity of the incidents.
“The actions of the officer in recognizing the potential threat and responding immediately likely prevented significant property damage and reduced the risk to public safety,” said Insp. Donovan Tait, officer in charge of the Nanaimo RCMP Detachment. “We are grateful that no one was injured and that the matter was brought under control before a fire could be set.”
Community impact and police response
Mounties emphasised the seriousness with which they are treating arson and related offences, noting both incidents occurred in the early morning hours in the same general area. The presence of combustible material against a building’s exterior and the proximity of a gas station to the A&W fire heightened concern for potential escalation and risk to public safety.
As the case proceeds to court, police say they will continue investigations and pursue charges where approval is given by the prosecution service. Residents with information about either incident are asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP.
This account is based on a Nanaimo RCMP release and media reports. Further official updates, including any additional charges or court outcomes, will be reported as they become available.