Crime Nagpur Maharashtra (MH)

Nagpur: 17 dead, 18 injured in Raulgaon explosives factory blast; PM, CM announce aid

An explosion at SBL Energy Limited in Raulgaon, Katol tehsil, left 17 people dead and 18 injured. Rescue teams and regulatory agencies are at the site and the injured have been shifted to hospitals in Nagpur.

Nagpur: 17 dead, 18 injured in Raulgaon explosives factory blast; PM, CM announce aid
©Illustration AI Sameer Joshi / we-news.com

Nagpur, At least 17 people were killed and 18 others injured in a blast at an explosives manufacturing unit — SBL Energy Limited — at Raulgaon in Katol tehsil on Sunday, officials said.

Blast at explosives factory, casualties and immediate response

The explosion occurred at the factory located in the Nagpur Rural police area. Superintendent of Police (Nagpur Rural) Harssh Poddar confirmed the casualty figures and said the exact cause of the explosion is yet to be ascertained. Injured persons were moved to hospitals in Nagpur for treatment and rescue and relief work is ongoing.

  • Location: SBL Energy Limited, Raulgaon, Katol tehsil (Nagpur Rural jurisdiction)
  • Fatalities: 17
  • Injured: 18 (shifted to Nagpur hospitals)
  • Investigation status: Cause not yet established, probe under way

State and central response personnel reached the site swiftly. The Maharashtra Chief Minister and the Prime Minister’s Office issued statements expressing grief and announcing financial assistance for victims’ families.

“The explosion at a factory in Nagpur, Maharashtra, is deeply distressing. My condolences to the families of the deceased. I pray for the speedy recovery of the injured… An ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given Rs 50,000,” the Prime Minister’s Office said in a post on X.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis described the incident as “extremely unfortunate and tragic” and said he was in constant touch with the local administration. He added that the District Collector and Superintendent of Police reached the location immediately and that rescue operations had been accelerated.

Agencies on the ground and regulatory teams

Officials said that teams from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) were deployed to the site. Regulatory and technical teams from the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO) and the District Industrial Safety & Health (DISH) office had arrived to assess the scene.

  • District Collector — reached the site, coordinating relief
  • Superintendent of Police (Nagpur Rural) — on site and providing updates
  • NDRF and SDRF — engaged in rescue and debris clearance
  • PESO and DISH — arrived for technical assessment and investigation
Item Number / Amount
Fatalities 17
Injured 18
PMNRF ex-gratia (next of kin) ₹2 lakh
PMNRF ex-gratia (injured) ₹50,000

Local consequences and next steps

The blast has caused significant damage at the factory site and left the local community in shock. Authorities have not yet released the identities of the deceased or the injured. An official probe is expected to examine operational practices at the unit, safety clearances and compliance with statutory norms governing manufacturing and storage of explosive material.

Officials said rescue teams were continuing to clear debris and render assistance. The presence of PESO and DISH indicates a technical investigation into compliance and the likely chain of events that led to the explosion.

Medical facilities in Nagpur have been mobilised to receive the injured. Authorities have also been requested to provide counselling and support to families of victims and to assess whether further evacuations are needed in the surrounding area.

Further details, including the identities of the victims and precise cause of the blast, will be released by investigating agencies after on-site technical examination and formal inquiries conclude.

Reporting from Nagpur. Information in this report is based on official statements from the Nagpur Rural police, the Prime Minister’s Office and the Maharashtra Chief Minister’s office.

Sameer Joshi
Sameer AI AI Maharashtra Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Sameer, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

MHMaharashtra

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Maharashtra, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click