Two people were seriously injured in an explosion at an alleged illegal firecracker manufacturing unit in Champahati, in South 24 Parganas district, on Wednesday, police said.
Immediate aftermath and injuries
The injured have been identified as 52-year-old Padmarani Naskar and Abbas Gazi. Both victims were taken to hospital in critical condition, according to preliminary reports available with law enforcement.
Local residents told police the unit was being operated covertly from a house in a forested stretch away from the main residential area. The premises was reportedly presented as a fish business, but authorities suspect firecracker manufacture and storage were taking place on site when the blast occurred.
Police response and ongoing investigation
A large team from Baruipur Police District reached the scene soon after the explosion. The contingent was led by Additional Superintendent of Police Atish Biswas, who is overseeing the initial probe.
Police said investigations are focused on establishing the immediate cause of the explosion, verifying whether the unit had been manufacturing crackers without licences, and identifying other persons involved. Officers are also examining the structure for stored explosive material and any safety violations.
- Location: House in a forested area, Champahati, South 24 Parganas
- Injured: Padmarani Naskar (52), Abbas Gazi
- Lead investigator: ASP Atish Biswas, Baruipur Police District
- Allegation: Illegal manufacture of firecrackers; premises presented as fish business
Community concerns and safety risks
Residents of the locality expressed alarm at the blast, saying that the unit was sited away from dense settlements but within reach of nearby habitations. Illegal manufacture and storage of firecrackers carry high risks of accidental ignition and can imperil local people and surrounding woodland.
Community members pointed to previous instances across the state where unauthorised units have caused larger fires or multiple casualties. The incident has renewed calls locally for stricter monitoring of materials that fall under explosive or inflammable categories, and for better enforcement of licensing rules.
Persons of interest and legal angle
Local reports have named Bapi Naskar as a person linked to the operation of the alleged unit. Police are investigating that connection and assessing whether any criminal charges pertaining to illegal manufacture, storage or negligence will be filed once forensic and witness evidence are evaluated.
Investigators will also determine if the structural owner was aware of the activities and whether advertisements or registration under other business heads — such as fisheries — were used to conceal the true nature of operations.
Next steps and public advisory
Authorities said they will continue on-site inspections and collect forensic samples to establish the explosive material used and the sequence of events leading to the blast. Police have urged anyone with information about the unit or its operators to come forward to help the probe.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Place | Champahati, South 24 Parganas |
| Injured | Padmarani Naskar (52), Abbas Gazi |
| Investigating officer | ASP Atish Biswas |
| Allegation | Illegal firecracker manufacturing unit |
As West Bengal heads into months when demand for fireworks rises with festivals and events, the police and civic bodies face renewed pressure to clamp down on illicit and unsafe units. The Champahati explosion serves as a reminder of the hazards posed by clandestine manufacture of explosive material without regulatory oversight or safety measures.
Police said further updates would follow as the investigation progresses and forensic reports become available.