Ranchi, Aug 17: Job aspirants agitating over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations will meet the Jharkhand government on Monday for another round of negotiations, organisers said on Sunday, as the protest entered its 24th day with six demonstrators continuing a hunger strike.
Fresh talks called after stalled rounds
The meeting, scheduled for 2 pm, was announced after protesters held discussions with the sub-divisional officer and the additional district magistrate (Law and Order) at the Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium in Ranchi. It will be the seventh round of talks between the government and the agitating students, previous sessions having failed to produce a breakthrough.
Led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, the protesters have two principal demands: a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations and the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL (Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission — Combined Graduate Level) examination. Organisers said they will attend the talks but remain firm on their core demands.
"We will definitely go for the talks as we want to resolve the issue through dialogue. We are firm on two of our demands — a CBI probe into irregularities in recruitment exams and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exams,"
said JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan, according to reporting.
Protest tactics and recent actions
On Saturday evening demonstrators staged a torchlight procession from the protest site at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium to Albert Ekka Chowk and burned effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav. Similar demonstrations took place in several districts, organisers said.
Protest leaders have also warned of intensified action: they announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20 and appealed to students from across the state to gather in Ranchi for the demonstration.
Hunger strike and continuing pressure
Authorities and protest organisers reported that six agitators remain on hunger strike. The prolonged nature of the agitation and the use of hunger strikes underscore the intensity of sentiment among job aspirants, many of whom say their future employment prospects are at stake.
Protesters have accused the ruling JMM-Congress alliance of not taking concrete measures to address alleged malpractice and of engaging in political posturing rather than delivering solutions.
What the protesters demand
- CBI investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations in the state.
- Cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and appropriate remedial action for affected candidates.
Organisers say these measures are necessary to restore credibility in the recruitment process and protect the interests of job aspirants across Jharkhand.
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| Location of main protest | Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, Ranchi |
| Days since protest began | 24 days |
| Number on hunger strike | Six |
| Next scheduled talks | Monday, 2 pm (seventh round) |
Political context and stakes
The agitation has placed additional pressure on the Hemant Soren-led government, with protesters accusing it of failing to take decisive action. The burning of effigies of senior political figures signals heightened frustration and seeks to draw national attention to the issue.
For the government, managing the protests will require balancing order and dialogue. Officials at the sub-divisional and district levels have engaged with representatives so far, leading to the scheduling of Monday's meeting.
What to watch next
- Whether the government accepts a CBI probe or offers an alternative investigative mechanism.
- Decisions on the status of the JSSC-CGL exam and any timetable for re-examination or remediation.
- Whether protest leaders escalate actions, including the planned gherao of the chief minister's residence on August 20.
Monday's talks will be closely observed by candidates, political actors and law-and-order authorities for signals on how the stalemate might be resolved.