Panel warns delay risks lives, livestock
The Justice B P Katakey Committee has urged the Meghalaya government to immediately notify a comprehensive State Action Plan to halt illegal coal mining and transportation and to close and secure thousands of abandoned rat‑hole mines across the State, saying its earlier direction for such a plan remains unimplemented.
In its 39th Interim Report submitted to the Meghalaya High Court, the panel said the absence of an officially notified plan is particularly worrying given continuing illegal operations and the presence of unsecured mine openings that pose ongoing hazards to human life and animals.
The Committee recorded that the State's Mining and Geology Secretary informed it on June 29 that a draft action plan had been prepared and was awaiting final approval. The secretary reportedly assured the panel that “the comprehensive plan of action would be notified within 2 (two) weeks’ time.”
“The comprehensive plan of action would be notified within 2 (two) weeks’ time.”
Panel flags gaps in interim safety measures
The report noted that the Central Mine Planning and Design Institute Ltd (CMPDIL) has prepared restoration detailed project reports (DPRs) for two pilot sites, but these proposals lack interim provisions to prevent immediate danger while restoration work awaits clearance.
| Site | District | Approved DPR cost |
|---|---|---|
| Sutnga | East Jaintia Hills | ₹92.78 lakh |
| Arenggtim | South Garo Hills | ₹63.00 lakh |
The Committee observed that neither DPR includes interim safety actions — such as fencing or other protections — to prevent accidents to people or livestock until restoration works commence. Both project proposals are pending clearance from a National Green Tribunal (NGT)‑appointed Oversight Committee, the report added.
Recommendation: a fast, prioritised closure and fencing policy
Stressing urgency, the Katakey panel asked the State to adopt a policy that mandates closure and fencing of hazardous openings without delay. It suggested the policy should:
- Prioritise pits located close to villages and habitations;
- Set clear timelines for closure, fencing and restoration;
- Include interim safety measures to protect people and livestock while longer‑term restoration is carried out;
- Provide for coordination with NGT oversight and central agencies where needed.
Deputy Commissioners (DCs) across affected districts have already begun preparatory work after earlier recommendations from the committee. The report recorded that DCs in East Jaintia and South Garo Hills have been consulting local headmen and nokmas on measures to protect and close pits near settlements.
At the June 29 meeting, several DCs — representing South West Khasi, West Khasi, West Jaintia and East Jaintia Hills — committed to finalising proposals to the Mining Department within 10 days, while South Garo Hills sought an extension of 15 days to complete its submission, the report said.
Why the plan matters
Illegal coal extraction in Meghalaya typically employs small‑scale, manual rat‑hole mining methods that leave numerous narrow shafts and unstable pits across forested and inhabited terrain. These openings, when unsecured, can collapse or entrap people and animals, and also present environmental risks such as soil erosion and contamination of water sources.
The Katakey Committee’s push to have the State formally notify an action plan is aimed at enabling prevention, detection and enforcement measures against illegal mining and ensuring immediate engineering and safety responses at hazardous sites. The panel emphasised that notification is a precondition for coordinated implementation and oversight.
Next steps outlined in the report
The interim report asked the State to:
- Notify the comprehensive State Action Plan without further delay;
- Implement interim safety measures such as fencing around high‑risk openings;
- Expedite clearance of DPRs for pilot restoration projects and ensure those proposals include temporary protection until restoration begins;
- Ensure district administrations submit detailed proposals within the timelines committed at the June 29 meeting.
The Katakey Committee’s recommendations, now on the High Court record, place renewed emphasis on administrative urgency and safety priorities while legal and environmental clearances proceed. The report does not set out a new timeline beyond urging prompt notification and prioritisation of pits near habitations.
As enforcement and restoration involve multiple agencies and judicial oversight, the State's next formal steps — particularly the notification of the action plan and the inclusion of interim safety measures in DPRs — will determine how quickly unsecured rat‑hole openings are made safe for communities and livestock.