Ranchi: The Bharatiya Janata Party in Jharkhand has announced a state-wide bandh on Tuesday to protest what it called "police atrocities" and a lathi-charge on students demonstrating against alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations.
Bandh call and scope
BJP state president Aditya Sahu said the shutdown will be effective from 8 am until midnight on Tuesday. He told reporters at the party headquarters that the bandh will be observed across Jharkhand, but essential services have been excluded from the scope of the shutdown.
Clash near Vidhan Sabha
The bandh call comes after a confrontation on Monday near the Jharkhand Vidhan Sabha in Ranchi when protesters — including students agitating over alleged recruitment examination irregularities — breached multiple barricades outside the assembly. Police responded with water cannon, tear gas and a lathi-charge, officials said.
Several agitators and four policemen were reported injured in the clash. While demonstrators alleged that women and other protesters suffered injuries in police action, Ranchi City SP Paras Rana said four policemen were hurt after being pelted with stones by some demonstrators.
Government response and appeal
Chief Minister Hemant Soren posted an open letter on X addressing the students and thanked officials and security agencies for handling the protest with "restraint, sensitivity and complete responsibility", according to a copy of his message.
"You have raised your voice for your demands in a peaceful manner. In a democracy, it is your right to express your views, and it is the government's responsibility to respect your voice. The government has heard you," Soren wrote.
In the letter, Soren said the government had listened to the students' concerns and assured that their demands would be treated with seriousness. He said senior ministers had been in continuous dialogue with the agitators and that action would be taken on their demands with "utmost seriousness and sensitivity".
Chief Minister urges students not to be politicised
Soren appealed to students not to be drawn into what he described as a political narrative, saying some opposition elements had tried to "spoil the atmosphere and mislead students for political gain." He reiterated the government's stated objective to reform the examination system to make it more transparent, technology-enabled, secure and accountable.
Immediate implications and practical information
- The BJP bandh is scheduled from 8 am to midnight on Tuesday.
- Essential services have been excluded from the shutdown, as per the BJP announcement.
- Protests near the Vidhan Sabha involved use of water cannon, tear gas and lathi-charge, and barricades were breached during the unrest.
Timeline of key developments
| Event | Details |
|---|---|
| Monday clash near Vidhan Sabha | Protesters breached barricades; police used water cannon, tear gas and lathi-charge; several agitators and four policemen injured. |
| BJP bandh call | Announced by Aditya Sahu; statewide from 8 am to midnight on Tuesday; essential services excluded. |
| Chief Minister's response | Hemant Soren posted an open letter thanking security agencies and urging students to pursue dialogue and avoid political manipulation. |
Political context
The bandh escalates a politically sensitive situation following public protests over alleged irregularities in recruitment exams. Authorities say they are engaging with student representatives; the chief minister has promised institutional measures to address shortcomings in the examination system.
What officials have said
Aditya Sahu characterised the shutdown as a protest against police action. Ranchi City SP Paras Rana confirmed police injuries from stone pelting. The chief minister's open letter underlined a commitment to probe and rectify system flaws while urging restraint and dialogue.
The situation remains fluid: the bandh announcement signals possible disruptions to transport and commerce across the state on Tuesday, although essential services have been exempted from the call. Residents and commuters in Jharkhand have been advised to stay updated through official channels for announcements from local authorities and transport providers.