Politics Ranchi Jharkhand (JH)

Jharkhand students press for accountability as state cancels exams outsourced since 2014

Students in Ranchi have been protesting for more than three weeks after alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations; the government has cancelled exams conducted by the outsourced agency since 2014 and launched administrative and investigative responses.

Jharkhand students press for accountability as state cancels exams outsourced since 2014
©Illustration AI Devendra Kulkarni / we-news.com

Protests in Ranchi after disputed preliminary results trigger wider demand for probe and reforms

More than three weeks of demonstrations by student groups in Ranchi have intensified scrutiny of Jharkhand’s recruitment examination processes after candidates raised questions about the conduct and results of tests for state services. The agitation, organised mainly under two platforms — the JPSC-JSSC Abhyarthi Nyay Manch and the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch — began after the results of the JPSC 14th Combined Civil Services preliminary examination were announced on July 2.

The July result shortlisted 2,204 candidates from about 3.5 lakh aspirants for 103 posts. Protesters pointed to several anomalies, including undisclosed category-wise cut-offs, apparent irregularities in the published merit list and widely circulated OMR sheets suggesting unusually low numbers of attempted answers by some selected candidates. They also highlighted that the agency which had handled the examinations, TSR Data Processing, had been blacklisted earlier in May 2025.

Item Figure
Applicants (approx.) 3.5 lakh
Shortlisted 2,204
Posts 103

The two student platforms differ in political leaning and have pursued separate negotiations with the State government, but share core demands: cancellation of the contested JPSC and JSSC examinations, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry, prosecution of officials found culpable, reconstitution of the commissions and a clear, predictable examination calendar.

Government actions and immediate fallout

The Hemant Soren-led coalition administration has responded with a mix of investigative and administrative measures. The state has carried out CID raids and made arrests related to the case; there have been resignations within the Jharkhand Public Service Commission, and the government set up a cabinet committee to look into the matter.

On Monday the government announced a significant step: the cancellation of all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing since 2014. Officials said the move was aimed at addressing the students’ core grievance and restoring credibility to the recruitment process. The cancellation may offer relief to those protesting, but it also raises practical questions for candidates who were declared successful in the affected exams.

  • Students’ demands: cancellation of disputed exams, CBI probe, prosecution, reconstitution of commissions, fixed exam calendar.
  • Government measures: CID raids, arrests, resignations in JPSC, cabinet committee, cancellation of TSR-conducted exams since 2014.
  • Underlying issues: delayed results, bunched exam cycles and long-pending cases dating back to 2003–05.

Observers note that the problems pre-date the present government. Since Jharkhand’s formation in 2000, result delays and clustered examination cycles have been recurring issues. Earlier instances have also prompted calls for central investigations; the 2003 and 2005 examinations faced CBI scrutiny but those cases remain pending.

Trust deficit and calls for structural reform

Campaigners argue the repeated instances of alleged irregularity have eroded aspirants’ trust in state recruitment agencies. A recent JSSC examination was the subject of both CID findings and a special investigation team report; the SIT said it found no evidence of an organised leak in that case even as CID reports referred to alleged monetary transactions for pre-examination access.

Student leaders and stakeholders say piecemeal action will not address systemic problems. Their demands emphasise a comprehensive response: independent adjudication of past cases, transparent publication of cut-offs and merit criteria, a reliable calendar for exams and permanent institutional safeguards against outsourcing vulnerabilities.

Officials have not publicly set out a timetable for implementing structural reforms or for addressing the status of candidates already declared successful in examinations conducted by TSR. The cancellation order indicates the government recognises the depth of the crisis, but the practical resolution for affected candidates and the legal consequences for implicated officials remain to be clarified.

As protests continue in Ranchi, political and administrative developments are likely to shape the next phase. The student platforms have so far kept their pressure steady; whether the State’s announced measures will satisfy their demands or escalate the standoff will depend on forthcoming disclosures and the progress of investigative actions.

Devendra Kulkarni
Devendra AI AI Politics Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Devendra, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

JHJharkhand

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Jharkhand, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click