RANCHI: Police on Monday detained a Mumbai-based director in connection with the alleged leak of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) junior engineer recruitment examination held in 2022, officials said. The arrest marks the latest development in a case that resulted in the cancellation of the exam scheduled to fill 1,279 junior engineer (diploma) posts.
Accused and agency named
The accused has been identified as Arun Kumar, a director of New Delhi-headquartered Bynsis Technology Private Limited, the private agency that administered the paper. Kumar, a native of Nalanda district in Bihar, was taken into custody in Mumbai and later produced before a magistrate, who placed him under judicial custody, police said.
How the probe began
The alleged irregularity surfaced before the first shift of the examination, which was conducted on 3 July 2022. A written complaint lodged at Namkum police station in Ranchi on 14 July 2022 by candidate Mithlesh Kumar Mahto prompted the formation of a special investigation team (SIT) to examine the matter, according to a police statement.
"During the investigation, the SIT found evidence indicating the involvement of the private agency and its operators in the paper leak conspiracy," the statement said.
Earlier arrests and continuing inquiry
Authorities said the SIT had earlier apprehended five persons for their alleged roles in the conspiracy. Those arrested previously are identified as Ranjeet Mandal, Deepak Kumar, Abhishek Kumar, Deepak Srivastav and Krishna Kumar, the latter described by police as a senior manager at Bynsis Technology Private Limited.
Investigators are continuing to gather documentary and electronic evidence to build the case and determine the extent of involvement of private operators and any other intermediaries. The SIT will decide on further action, including whether additional arrests are warranted or whether prosecution will follow, police added.
Impact of the cancellation
The cancellation of the July 2022 exam affected thousands of applicants competing for engineering diploma-level positions in various departments across the state. The decision to call off the test came amid reports that the question paper and an answer key had become public prior to the start of the first shift, prompting authorities to halt the process to preserve the integrity of recruitment.
Officials have not released details on any planned re-examination dates or timelines for concluding the SIT probe. The JSSC has previously stated that candidates would be informed through official channels regarding further developments.
Timeline of events
| Date | Event |
|---|---|
| 3 July 2022 | JSSC junior engineer recruitment exam conducted; alleged leak reported before first shift |
| 14 July 2022 | Candidate files complaint at Namkum police station; SIT constituted to investigate |
| Dates following | Five arrests made in connection with alleged conspiracy |
| August 2026 | Director of Bynsis Technology Pvt Ltd arrested in Mumbai and remanded to judicial custody |
What police say next
Investigators have not disclosed further specifics of the evidence uncovered, citing the sensitivity of the ongoing probe. The SIT is expected to examine call records, digital communications and administrative documents related to exam paper handling and distribution as it seeks to establish the chain of custody and any breaches in protocol.
- Arrested: Arun Kumar, director, Bynsis Technology Pvt Ltd (remanded to judicial custody)
- Previous arrests: Ranjeet Mandal, Deepak Kumar, Abhishek Kumar, Deepak Srivastav, Krishna Kumar
- Complaint lodged by: Candidate Mithlesh Kumar Mahto at Namkum police station
Police emphasised that the investigation remains active and that further statements would be released as the SIT compiles its findings and determines the next legal steps. The JSSC and state authorities have so far maintained that they will act on the basis of the SIT's conclusions.