Ranchi: Job aspirants and students protesting alleged irregularities in Jharkhand recruitment examinations will meet the state government for a fresh round of talks on Monday, August 17, officials said, as the agitation entered its 24th day on Sunday.
Standoff continues despite repeated meetings
The demonstration, led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, has not reached a resolution despite multiple rounds of negotiations. The meeting called for 2 pm on Monday will be the seventh round of talks between the agitators and government representatives, the Ranchi district administration said.
On Sunday, protesters staged a torchlight procession from Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium to Albert Ekka Chowk and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav, alleging that the ruling alliance had failed to act decisively on their demands.
Demands and positions
The agitators are pressing two principal demands: a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment exams conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC), and the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.
“We will definitely go for the talks as we want to resolve the issue through dialogue. We are firm on two of our demands -- a CBI probe into irregularities in recruitment exams and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL exams,” Ravindra Paswan, leader of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, said.
The statement reiterated the protesters’ insistence on legal and administrative redress and signalled their willingness to continue dialogue if the government agrees to their core demands.
Situation on the ground
Organisers said the stir has spread to several districts, with similar demonstrations held beyond Ranchi. As of Sunday, six protesters remained on hunger strike, according to the organisers’ communication at the protest site. The agitation has at times taken a confrontational tone, with plans announced to gherao the Chief Minister’s residence and calls for high-level resignations.
Authorities in Ranchi held a meeting between protest leaders and senior local administrators — the sub-divisional officer and the additional district magistrate (Law and Order) — at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium on Saturday, which preceded the government’s invitation for Monday’s talks. The administration invited protestors to attend the discussions accompanied by legal advisors, the district statement said.
Political and administrative implications
The protests have put pressure on the Hemant Soren-led JMM-Congress alliance, with students and job seekers accusing the government of inaction and politicising the issue. Burning effigies of national and regional leaders underlined the depth of anger among sections of the protesters, who claim the alleged irregularities threaten the future prospects of thousands of aspirants.
So far, earlier rounds of talks have failed to produce a breakthrough. Officials have several options available, including referring the matter to a central agency, ordering administrative inquiries, or initiating internal reforms at the commissions involved. Any move to hand over the matter to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would require a formal request from the state government and follow established procedures.
What to expect at Monday’s meeting
Observers said the agenda for Monday will likely centre on whether the government is willing to accept any of the protesters’ core demands or offer alternative remedial measures, such as setting up an independent judicial inquiry or fast-tracking internal audits. Protest leaders have declined to dilute their demands so far, keeping the potential for escalation alive.
- Seventh round of talks scheduled at 2 pm on August 17.
- Duration: Protest enters its 24th day on Sunday.
- Current demands: CBI probe and cancellation of JSSC-CGL.
- Hunger strike: Six agitators reported still fasting.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Location | Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium / Albert Ekka Chowk, Ranchi |
| Lead group | JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch |
| Key demands | CBI probe; Cancellation of JSSC-CGL |
| Talks held | Six previous rounds; 7th scheduled |
How the government responds at Monday’s meeting will determine whether the protest de-escalates or enters a fresh phase of agitation. For many aspirants, the outcome carries immediate implications for competitive exam schedules, vacancies and career timelines in the state’s public services.
Officials from the state administration confirmed the invitation for talks but did not disclose whether the government would move to accede to the demand for a CBI inquiry or offer alternative remedies. Protest leaders have emphasised they will continue demonstrations across districts until they receive a satisfactory response.
Further developments are expected after the scheduled 2 pm meeting on Monday.