RANCHI: The agitation against alleged irregularities in Jharkhand recruitment examinations entered its 20th day on Thursday, with students and supporting political groups maintaining a sit-in at the Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium and refusing to suspend the stir until their demands are accepted, organisers said.
What protesters want
The platform leading the movement, the JPSC–JSSC Reforms Manch, has reiterated calls for greater transparency in the conduct of recruitment exams. Demonstrators have demanded cancellation of several tests and an independent probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) or by a panel of retired judges from outside Jharkhand.
"My body is undergoing treatment on the hospital bed, but my soul is at the satyagraha site where students and youth are engaged in a just struggle for their future," JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto wrote in a letter to the Ranchi civil surgeon, seeking permission to return to the protest site.
Mahto, who has been on a hunger strike and was hospitalised after his health deteriorated, is among several activists and students taking part in the fast. Officials said four students on hunger strike were also receiving treatment at a city hospital.
| Demand | Details |
|---|---|
| Independent probe | CBI probe or panel of retired judges from outside Jharkhand |
| Cancellation of exams | Several recruitment tests allegedly compromised |
| Compensation | ₹1 crore each sought by some leaders for families of 19 deceased during 2024 excise constable physical exam |
Political reactions and actions
Former Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Wednesday warned that he may commence a hunger strike if the demand for a CBI probe is not acceded to within a week. Mr Das has also sought ₹1 crore in compensation each for the families of 19 people who died during the physical test for excise constables in 2024, a plea he reiterated during the protests.
The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) has announced demonstrations at more than 1,200 universities across the country in support of the students’ agitation, according to organisers.
The ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha-led state government has faced criticism from the opposition BJP, which accused it of attempting to suppress the movement. The Congress, however, accused the BJP of politicising the agitation and alleged that some workers from outside Jharkhand were brought in to create disruptions.
Law-and-order flashpoints
Tensions escalated earlier this week after a march by protesters towards the state Assembly on Monday. Police employed batons, water cannon and tear gas to disperse the crowd, leading to clashes between demonstrators and security personnel, participants and officials said.
The opposition observed a statewide bandh following the police action, further raising the political temperature in the state capital.
Concerns have been expressed about the credibility of the state-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed to look into the alleged irregularities. ABVP leaders and others pointed to repeated changes in the SIT’s composition as a reason to question its independence and effectiveness.
Health of hunger-strikers and ongoing mobilisation
JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto, hospitalised after his health worsened, wrote to the Ranchi civil surgeon seeking permission to rejoin the protest at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium. He told supporters that despite being under treatment, he remained committed to the movement.
Organisers said thousands of students continued to participate in the sit-in and related activities. The protest platform has declared it will continue until the state government accepts its core demands or an independent investigation is ordered.
- Duration: Protest entered 20th consecutive day.
- Location: Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium, Ranchi.
- Key demands: Cancellation of certain recruitment exams, CBI probe or external panel of retired judges, compensation for families affected in 2024 incident.
As the agitation continues, political parties in the state and student groups have said they will maintain pressure through demonstrations and public outreach. The immediate prospect for a resolution remained uncertain on Thursday, with both the protesters and state authorities yet to signal a compromise.
Officials at the Sadar Hospital confirmed treatment of hunger-strikers but declined to comment on their fitness to return to the protest site, citing patient confidentiality.