The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Monday conducted raids at the office of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) as part of an expanding investigation into alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations, officials said.
Searches intensify probe into alleged paper leaks
CID Additional Director General Manoj Kaushik confirmed that the agency was carrying out searches at the JSSC premises in connection with alleged anomalies in various selection tests. The action follows weeks of demonstrations by job aspirants who have accused the authorities of large-scale irregularities in recruitment examinations.
"We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations," CID ADG Manoj Kaushik said, according to PTI.
Protesters have been staging demonstrations for more than three weeks, pressing demands that include cancellation of specific examinations, structural reforms of recruitment bodies and a probe by a central agency. Their agitation has drawn sustained public attention and prompted administrative response.
Arrests and resignations linked to the probe
The CID has so far arrested 20 people in connection with alleged recruitment anomalies, officials reported. Among those taken into custody is former JPSC chairman L Khiangte, who was arrested on 10 August. The arrest came a day after all three members of the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) tendered their resignations amid mounting pressure.
Authorities have not disclosed the full list of those arrested nor detailed the charges filed. The CID stated the raids are aimed at gathering documentary and digital evidence related to the alleged offences.
Grievances driving student protests
A section of aspirants has demanded the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination conducted in September 2024, asserting that a large proportion of questions were leaked prior to the test. Protesters claim that out of 135 questions in the paper, 120 were compromised — an allegation that has been at the heart of the agitation.
The demonstrators have sought comprehensive reforms at both the JSSC and the JPSC and have called for a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into alleged irregularities. The movement has included peaceful sit-ins and a few students have taken an indefinite hunger strike.
What officials say and the next steps
The CID described the raids as part of routine investigative procedure following registration of cases into alleged recruitment irregularities. Officials did not detail what specific material they were seeking or whether any evidence had been recovered during Monday’s searches.
State and investigation authorities are expected to assess documents, digital records and communications linked to the conduct and administration of the examinations. Any substantial findings could lead to further arrests and formal charges against accused individuals.
- Duration of protests: Over 24 days
- Arrests so far: 20 people, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte
- Key demand: Cancellation of JSSC-CGL Sep 2024 exam and CBI probe
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Alleged compromised paper | JSSC-CGL, September 2024 (claim: 120 of 135 questions leaked) |
| Notable arrest | Former JPSC chairman L Khiangte (arrested 10 August) |
| Resignations | All three JPSC members resigned following protests |
Legal experts say raids and arrests are routine investigative steps but stressed that prosecution will require corroborative documentary and digital evidence linking accused persons to the alleged leaks or manipulation. Courts will ultimately decide on the admissibility and sufficiency of such evidence in any criminal trial.
The state government has instituted a committee to hold dialogue with the protesting aspirants, but demonstrators maintain that several core demands remain unresolved. Some political leaders and parties have voiced support for the students’ right to peaceful protest while urging authorities to ensure that the probe proceeds swiftly and transparently.
The CID has not given a timetable for completing the searches or for filing further charges. Investigative officers indicated the raids could lead to follow-up actions depending on materials recovered during the searches.
As the inquiry continues, aspirants and concerned citizens are watching for official updates that could determine the fate of recruitment exercises and the careers of thousands of jobseekers across the state.