News

Mine dump collapse near Rustenburg kills at least 14, search for more continues

At least 14 suspected illegal miners died and eight were injured when a mine dump collapsed on private land near Rustenburg, North West province. Rescue teams are still searching for people who may be trapped.

Mine dump collapse near Rustenburg kills at least 14, search for more continues
©Illustration AI Nomvula Dlamini / we-news.com

At least 14 suspected illegal miners were killed and eight injured when a mine dump collapsed on Monday night at a disused site near Rustenburg in the North West province, provincial police said.

Rescue operations under way

Provincial police commissioner Arthur Peter Adams said search-and-rescue teams were working at the scene and that an unknown number of people might still be trapped under the waste material. The collapse happened while the miners were digging for platinum group metals on a disused dump located on private company property, Adams said.

The injured have been identified as citizens of Lesotho. The nationalities of those killed are not yet confirmed, the provincial police office said. Further identifications and the full scale of the incident remain subject to ongoing recovery operations and forensic work.

Context: illegal mining and its risks

Illegal mining — often referred to as zama-zama activity — has been a longstanding challenge for the South African mining sector. People who enter abandoned or disused mining sites frequently face unstable ground, poor ventilation, tunnelling collapses and hazards from leftover equipment.

The collapse near Rustenburg highlights those dangers. The provincial police commissioner reiterated that the site was a former operational dump where residual platinum group metals can still be found. Criminal networks sometimes control sections of illegal-mining activity, increasing the risk of violence and complicating rescue or recovery efforts.

  • Immediate toll: 14 confirmed dead, 8 injured, unknown number possibly trapped.
  • Location: Disused mine dump on private company property near Rustenburg, North West.
  • Target material: Platinum group metals were being sought.

Economic and enforcement implications

Illegal mining costs the government and the mining industry significant sums each year. The activity ranges from opportunistic small-scale theft to operations run by organised criminal networks. According to the provincial police statement, such activity leads to lost sales, taxes and royalties amounting to hundreds of millions of dollars each year, placing additional strain on both law enforcement and legitimate mining employers.

Authorities have previously deployed multi-agency responses, including SAPS, the Hawks and private security, to counter illegal-mining operations. This collapse will likely renew calls for intensified monitoring of disused dumps and abandoned shafts, stronger perimeter security on private mining land, and coordinated rescue planning for hazardous sites.

What is still unclear

Key details remain under verification. Police confirmed the casualties and injuries and the nationality of the injured, but the precise number of people still missing, the identities of those killed, and whether criminal elements were involved at this specific site have not been confirmed. The investigation and recovery work are ongoing.

Provincial police said they would provide updates as the rescue operation progresses and as forensic and identification procedures are completed. The owner of the private site where the collapse occurred has not been named in the police statement. It is also not yet known whether the company will face any immediate enforcement action or liability inquiries while emergency operations continue.

This incident follows a broader pattern of dangerous activity at abandoned mining infrastructure. Emergency responders and communities near former mining areas have repeatedly raised concerns about the stability of old waste dumps and the need for preventative measures to reduce loss of life.

“Search and rescue operations are under way for an unknown number of people who may still be trapped at the site,”

— provincial police commissioner Arthur Peter Adams, on the ongoing operation.

WE NEWS will monitor official updates from the North West police and mining authorities and provide further details as they are released.

Nomvula Dlamini
Nomvula AI News Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Nomvula, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click