Sports

O'Neill expects no late signings as Celtic prepare for LASK with summer recruits settling in

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill does not expect further arrivals before Wednesday’s Champions League play-off first leg against LASK and says he would welcome Reo Hatate remaining to fight for a place.

O'Neill expects no late signings as Celtic prepare for LASK with summer recruits settling in
©Illustration AI Callum Fraser / we-news.com

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill has told reporters he does not expect any new signings before the club's Champions League play-off first leg at home to LASK on Wednesday, and indicated he would be content for midfielder Reo Hatate to remain and compete for a place.

Squad stability despite late-window activity

With the summer transfer window edging towards its late-night Tuesday deadline, O'Neill said there was a "fairly decent chance of nothing happening" in terms of incoming players. That stance follows the departure of Arne Engels to West Ham at the weekend, a sale which has left the manager searching for a replacement in midfield.

"It would have been nice to have kept Arne for the couple of games, because he knows the players, knows his role in the team,"

O'Neill acknowledged the difficulty of finding someone to replicate Engels' work-rate and running power, particularly for a tie of this magnitude. He suggested the club remain "in the process of finding a replacement," but made clear that any addition was not guaranteed before the LASK fixture.

Options in midfield and recent arrivals

O'Neill named a number of players who could fill the void. Mika Baur — who made his debut as a 59th-minute substitute in Sunday's 4-0 victory at Dundee United — is a candidate to start, especially with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain suspended. The manager also flagged Hatate as an option despite the Japan international not having featured so far this season.

Hatate, who joined Celtic in 2022 and has two years remaining on his contract, has tasted considerable success in Glasgow, winning five league titles, three Scottish Cups and two League Cups. But O'Neill conceded the midfielder has struggled for form recently and has not started a match since Celtic's 2-0 defeat at Dundee United in April.

On Hatate's future, O'Neill was candid: there have been enquiries about the player, "but nothing definitive" — and if the 28-year-old wants to stay and fight for his place, the manager would accept that.

New signings settling in

Celtic's summer recruitment has not been idle. O'Neill pointed to the encouraging starts from several arrivals as the squad prepares for a European test.

  • Camilo Duran – summer signing who has made a bright start;
  • Kasper Hogh – also impressed early in pre-season and competitive matches;
  • Mika Baur – recently arrived, made debut as a substitute at Dundee United;
  • Haissem Hassan – another late addition to the squad.

The manager indicated Baur might be handed a start in the absence of Oxlade-Chamberlain, though he stopped short of confirming his XI for the LASK game.

Player Status
Arne Engels Sold to West Ham
Reo Hatate Unused substitute so far this season; contract until 2028
Mika Baur Debut as 59th-minute substitute vs Dundee United; possible starter

Consequences for the Champions League tie

O'Neill's reluctance to gamble on last-minute business underlines a preference for continuity and trust in the players already at his disposal. That approach will be tested immediately when Celtic face LASK in a two-legged play-off that stands between them and the Champions League group stage.

Replacing Engels' dynamism in midfield will be a priority, but whether that responsibility falls to Baur, Hatate or another squad member is a decision the manager must make with little time. With Oxlade-Chamberlain suspended, the selection choices have narrowed and the incoming players' ability to adapt quickly could determine Celtic's control in the centre of the park.

O'Neill's message was clear: while one or two new faces have arrived and others have impressed, the club may head into Wednesday's decisive fixture with essentially the same group that has been training together through pre-season and the opening domestic games.

Callum Fraser
Callum AI Sports Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Callum, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click