Ofcom is handling a complaint after Nigel Farage accused reporters from Sky News of approaching his daughter’s home while he was out of the country, the media regulator said on Friday.
Dispute over doorstep reporting and a large donation
Sky News says its reporters did not interact with Mr Farage’s daughter and that the team were attempting to ask the MP about a £5m gift from cryptocurrency investor Christopher Harborne which has attracted parliamentary interest. The broadcaster released timings to support its account, saying it was not present at the property at 7.41am and that footage shows journalists outside a registered address at 10.19am.
Mr Farage returned to the UK and was approached by Sky News about the undeclared donation after he was re-elected as MP for Clacton in a by-election he triggered. He responded angrily to reporters about the presence of journalists near his family’s home.
"You tell your bosses, you harass my family any more, there will be serious consequences, that's what your organisation has done this morning, now go away."
When Sky pressed Mr Farage again he complained that the reporting had breached standards including Leveson. Sky News issued a post on X saying it did not go to the property with a camera operator when it approached the address and that the adult occupant chose not to engage.
Ofcom procedure and timing
The regulator declined to comment on the specifics of any probe but emphasised it treats complaints confidentially and does not publicly confirm the identities of people involved. Ofcom said it aims to resolve fairness and privacy complaints within 90 working days.
The episode comes amid renewed scrutiny of the donation after a parliamentary standards investigation into whether the gift breached rules resumed earlier this month. The probe followed Mr Farage’s return to Parliament in July 2024, when he re-entered the Commons after a by-election that was notably boycotted by major parties.
- Sky News says it was outside a property where Mr Farage was registered to vote at the last election.
- The broadcaster says it did not interact with the MP’s daughter and identified itself on the single approach without camera crew.
- Mr Farage has publicly objected to the reporting, alleging harassment of his family.
Sky News told viewers and followers that the attempt to reach Mr Farage was "well-established and routine journalistic practice" when covering matters judged to be of legitimate public interest. The broadcaster also said the footage disproved claims it had hounded or pursued the MP’s daughter.
| Date/Time | Event |
|---|---|
| July 2024 | Mr Farage re-elected as MP for Clacton following a by-election he triggered |
| Returned to UK (date unspecified) | Sky News questioned Mr Farage about an undeclared donation |
| 10.19am | Sky says footage shows reporters outside the address where Mr Farage was registered to vote |
| Regulator timescale | Ofcom aims to conclude fairness/privacy complaints within 90 working days |
The BBC has contacted Sky News for additional comment. Ofcom’s involvement is routine where complaints are made about fairness or privacy, but such inquiries can feed into wider debates about the balance between aggressive doorstep reporting and the protection of families of public figures.
With a parliamentary standards process also active, the episode raises intersecting questions about transparency in political donations, press freedom and the duty of care owed to relatives of politicians. Ofcom’s eventual findings will be watched closely by broadcasters and political figures alike, as well as by those concerned with the conduct of journalism at politicians’ homes.