Barcelona midfielder Gavi has rejected the opportunity to join Manchester United, according to recent national reports, as the summer transfer chatter continues to centre on reshaping squads across the Premier League and beyond.
Gavi says no amid wider market activity
The development over Gavi was carried in the national press and forms part of a broader transfer narrative that includes familiar names and fresh approaches. While United had been linked with the Spain international, the story now is that the 20-year-old has turned down a switch to Old Trafford.
Alongside that headline, there were other notable items in Wednesday’s papers, among them the impression Marcus Rashford has left behind following his spell at Barcelona. National coverage suggests Rashford’s return to United has been met with approval within the club hierarchy, with reports saying he has left officials
"seriously impressed"after his loan move.
Moves, offers and scouting across the league
Elsewhere, national outlets carry a series of fresh leads and confirmed interest:
- Adam Wharton has emerged as a midfield target for Manchester City, with reports linking him to their recruitment plans.
- Al Hilal, from the Saudi Pro League, have lodged a bid of £38.5m for Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins, according to transfer correspondent Fabrizio Romano.
- Everton have been linked with a potential loan approach to bring Jack Grealish back to Goodison Park, a scenario confirmed as of interest by the club’s chief executive Angus Kinnear in national reporting.
These stories sit alongside a series of less conventional items that still caught the papers’ attention: a report that Ipswich are planning extensive monitoring at their new facilities, including the controversial suggestion of regular urine testing as part of a wider attempt to gain a marginal advantage; and a column detailing a stand-off at Chelsea between co-owners over proposed stadium plans, a disagreement said to be pushing the club towards a change in regime.
International headlines and wider context
European headlines continue to feature heavyweight narratives. There is speculation over Harry Kane and his future, with reports suggesting the England captain would prioritise a move to Bayern Munich over lucrative offers from the Saudi Pro League — a story that underlines how international markets remain hungry for elite Premier League and international talent.
The papers also carried a column on Real Madrid where Jose Mourinho — referenced in that piece — is quoted as considering four players untouchable in his plans, while commentators argue players such as Trent Alexander-Arnold sit outside that inner circle. The European narrative is completed by features on the continued profile of Kylian Mbappe, Jude Bellingham, Vinicius Junior and Yan Diomande, underscoring the swirling activity across the continent.
| Player | Linked Club | Reported Fee / Note |
|---|---|---|
| Gavi | Manchester United (approach) | Rejected approach (reports) |
| Ollie Watkins | Al Hilal / Aston Villa | £38.5m bid |
| Adam Wharton | Manchester City | Targeted |
Transfer windows are rarely quiet, yet the next few weeks look set to test clubs’ resolve and strategy. For United specifically, the immediate question is how they will respond to a midfield target opting against a move, and whether they will accelerate interest in alternative targets as summery negotiations continue.
Meanwhile, the domestic market remains fluid. Clubs from Manchester to Merseyside are weighing up loans, sales and longer-term recruitment as the new season approaches, and international suitors continue to press for Premier League talent, with the Saudi league in particular remaining an influential player.
As always, the transfer story will evolve rapidly; for now the headlines point to a mix of rebuffs, renewed confidence and fresh offers that together shape the coming weeks’ transfer narrative.