The Uttarakhand government on Thursday rejected media accounts and political claims that a government official had demanded a bribe from a taekwondo player, saying the matter related to participation costs for an event organised by a private body and not a government selection process.
Government sets out sequence of events
According to the clarification issued by the state administration, the student — who studies at CNI Girls School — raised the need for funds during a youth dialogue programme attended by Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami. The government said the athlete had been training under the Taekwondo Council of India, which it described as a private organisation, and that selection for the international competition had been made by that body.
The state stated the overall expense to travel and participate in the competition was estimated at ₹3.70 lakh. The private organisation reportedly agreed to cover about ₹1.70 lakh, leaving the student to arrange the remainder of approximately ₹1.50–1.60 lakh.
| Item | Amount (₹) |
|---|---|
| Total estimated cost | 3.70 lakh |
| Contribution by private body | 1.70 lakh |
| Amount student asked to arrange | 1.50–1.60 lakh |
Government rejects charge of official misconduct
The clarification emphasised that no government official was seeking money and that the issue did not arise from any government-run selection procedure. It said the student's brief interaction during the event left insufficient time to explain the entire context, which led to misinterpretation.
“The student's concerns and talent deserve full respect,” the release said, while also accusing some political actors of using partial information for political advantage. The statement urged that presenting the case with incorrect facts for political gain was inappropriate.
Political reaction and public interest
The matter drew attention after social media posts and political statements suggested the student had alleged a government official demanded money. The government’s version seeks to draw a line between privately organised sporting representation and official selection pathways, a distinction with implications for how athletes seek state support.
- Student raised financial need during a youth dialogue with Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami.
- Training and selection were through the Taekwondo Council of India, described as a private organisation.
- State denies any official demanded money or that the case involved government selection.
Sports activists and parents often seek state support when children qualify for international events, and ambiguity over who organises an athlete’s participation can lead to confusion over eligibility for government assistance. The government’s clarification attempts to limit such confusion by underlining the private-sector role in this case.
What remains unclear
The government note did not provide details on whether any channel exists for students selected by private bodies to seek state assistance, or whether the state has been approached formally for support in this specific case. It also did not name the private organisers beyond referring to the Taekwondo Council of India.
The clarification said the student could not elaborate fully during the interaction, implying that gaps in the public account contributed to the controversy. The statement framed the episode as one of misrepresentation rather than an allegation of corruption.
As the matter continues to circulate on social media and among political commentators, the government has asked that the student’s talent and concerns be treated with respect while warning against exploiting incomplete information for partisan ends.