Brothers from Pithoragarh arrive home after nearly 100 days abroad
Two brothers from Pithoragarh, identified as Anand Singh Karki and Bhupendra Singh Karki, reached Uttarakhand on Tuesday after being stranded in Russia for almost 97 days, the Chief Minister’s Office said. State officials said their return followed active intervention by Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami and coordinated efforts with the Ministry of External Affairs and the Indian Embassy in Moscow.
The family had engaged a travel agency in Sitarganj that, they say, promised overseas employment. The brothers reportedly flew out of India on May 5, 2026, and arrived in Moscow on May 6. After being taken abroad, the youths allegedly were not given the jobs they had been contracted for and were forced to undertake other tasks without pay. The family alleged the brothers were restricted in their movements and threatened when they refused the assigned work.
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| Names | Anand Singh Karki; Bhupendra Singh Karki |
| Origin | Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand |
| Departure from India | 5 May 2026 |
| Arrival in Moscow | 6 May 2026 |
| Days stranded | Approximately 97 days |
| Alleged fee paid to agency | About ₹8 lakh |
Their family said the youths were unable to maintain regular contact after reaching Russia and that their last messages mentioned drone or missile activity close to the place where they had been held, raising fears for their safety. The Chief Minister’s Office said Dhami personally spoke with the brothers by telephone after their return and also contacted their family to obtain details.
"If any citizen of Uttarakhand faces difficulties abroad, the state government will strive to provide assistance," Chief Minister Dhami said, according to the CMO.
State officials said the matter was taken up seriously after the family reported the circumstances. The CMO statement said that state functionaries liaised with the Ministry of External Affairs and India’s diplomatic mission in Russia, and that sustained coordination led to the brothers’ repatriation.
Local authorities in Pithoragarh and officials in Sitarganj were informed of the development. The family expressed relief and gratitude for the support, thanking the Chief Minister for what they described as "sensitive intervention and prompt actions", the CMO added.
Officials did not provide further operational details of how the repatriation was secured, nor did the statement name the Sitarganj travel agency alleged to have organised the trip. The family has alleged they paid around ₹8 lakh for employment that did not materialise; there was no immediate confirmation from the agency on the charge or its role.
Human trafficking and illegal overseas recruitment are recurring concerns in parts of Uttarakhand where limited local employment opportunities push people to seek work abroad. Experts and civil-society groups have repeatedly urged stricter oversight of recruitment agencies and clearer pre-departure counselling for prospective migrants.
- What happened: Brothers taken to Russia on job promises, allegedly forced to work and not paid.
- State action: CMO coordinated with MEA and Indian Embassy; Chief Minister spoke to the brothers upon return.
- Family claim: Paid approximately ₹8 lakh to a Sitarganj agency; reported threats and restricted movement abroad.
The CMO said further assistance would be provided to the family as necessary. Police in Pithoragarh and Sitarganj have been asked to examine the recruitment arrangements and identify whether any legal action is warranted under criminal or labour laws. If complaints are formally filed, enquiries can lead to prosecution of agencies or individuals involved in trafficking or fraudulent recruitment.
The case underlines the risks faced by those who pay high sums to intermediaries for overseas work without verifying the credentials of recruiters or the nature of contracts. Authorities and civil-society organisations in the state routinely advise prospective migrants to check registration details of placement agencies, retain copies of contracts and contact official helplines of the Ministry of External Affairs in case of problems abroad.
For now, the brothers are reported to be with family in Pithoragarh. Officials said the state government will continue to monitor their welfare and follow up on any legal steps arising from the family's allegations.