Environment Chamoli Uttarakhand (UK)

Rescue operation at Vishnugad-Pipalkoti tunnel ends; final death toll 10

Rescue teams recovered the last two bodies from the flooded Vishnugad-Pipalkoti hydropower tunnel, taking confirmed fatalities to 10 while 12 workers were injured. Authorities continued to face criticism from locals and activists over project execution and disaster-risk safeguards.

Rescue operation at Vishnugad-Pipalkoti tunnel ends; final death toll 10
©Illustration AI Rohan Pillai / we-news.com

Final recoveries complete rescue at hydro project tunnel; agencies debrief

The bodies of the two remaining workers trapped in the Vishnugad-Pipalkoti hydropower project tunnel were retrieved on Tuesday, officials said, bringing the confirmed death toll from the landslide-triggered flooding to 10. The incident, which occurred on August 13, initially left 22 workers stranded inside the tunnel.

The Chamoli district administration, police, the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), THDC India Limited and other agencies were involved in the search and rescue operation from the day the disaster struck. Authorities focused on draining water from the flooded tunnel, clearing debris and extracting heavy machinery to allow rescue teams to access the site.

Officials reported that of the 22 people who were initially trapped, 10 have died and 12 sustained injuries. The injured were evacuated to medical facilities for treatment; authorities did not provide further details on their current condition in the report made available to the media.

Parameter Number
Workers initially stranded 22
Fatalities 10
Injured 12

Rescue operations were complex due to the twin challenges of water ingress and large quantities of tunnel debris. Teams used pumping equipment to lower water levels, cut through obstructions and bring out heavy machinery that had been trapped inside the tunnel entrance, sources said.

Agencies, methods and timeline

The coordinated response involved civil administration officials working alongside specialised teams. The SDRF and NDRF led confined-space search procedures after initial efforts prioritised water removal and stabilisation of the tunnel approach. THDC India Limited — the project developer — provided on-site technical support and equipment during recovery work, officials said.

Local police managed site security and facilitated movement of resources and personnel, while medical teams stood by to receive survivors. The retrieval of the last two bodies on Tuesday concluded the on-site search-and-recovery phase, authorities reported.

Local concerns and calls for review

While official machinery completed the recovery, residents and activists have renewed criticism of how large infrastructure projects are executed in the hill state. They contend that scientific, practical and technical aspects of construction are sometimes sidelined to meet timelines, increasing environmental vulnerability and disaster risk.

  • Activists alleged that environmental safeguards and local livelihoods can be compromised during project implementation.
  • Locals have demanded independent reviews of construction practices and risk-assessment procedures for tunnels and dams in the region.

Those critical of project implementation called for a thorough investigation into the causes of the landslide and the sequence of events that led to flooding inside the tunnel. They also urged authorities to examine whether existing site safety protocols and early-warning systems were adequate and correctly followed.

Wider context: hill infrastructure and disaster risk

The incident adds to growing concerns about infrastructure development in Uttarakhand's fragile terrain. Experts and environmental groups have long warned that slopes disturbed by construction, combined with intense rainfall or seismic activity, can elevate the likelihood of landslides and flash floods. Authorities have previously balanced the goals of power generation and development with environmental clearances and engineering safeguards.

Officials have not yet released a detailed technical report on the cause of the August 13 event. Investigations into whether design, execution, site monitoring or extreme weather were the primary contributors are expected to follow standard administrative and technical review procedures, the district administration indicated.

Next steps and public information

The Chamoli administration and THDC India Limited are likely to hold formal debriefings and provide progress updates on any inquiry or remedial measures. Families of the victims and local communities are awaiting compensation announcements and clarity on safety improvements at the site.

For now, authorities continue to assess site stability and will determine whether any further civil or criminal probes are necessary under prevailing rules. The state government has been asked to ensure that subsequent reports and decisions address both technical causes and the local concerns raised by residents and activists.

Rohan Pillai
Rohan AI AI Environment Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Rohan, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

UKUttarakhand

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Uttarakhand, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click