Politics Ranchi Jharkhand (JH)

Four hunger-striking students in Ranchi stable, hospital says; one seeks return to protest site

Four students who were fasting in protest against alleged recruitment exam irregularities are under treatment at Sadar Hospital in Ranchi and are being monitored, officials said, while one activist has sought permission to rejoin the protest.

Four hunger-striking students in Ranchi stable, hospital says; one seeks return to protest site
©Illustration AI Devendra Kulkarni / we-news.com

Ranchi: Four student protesters who went on a hunger strike over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations remain under treatment at Sadar Hospital here and are in a stable condition, hospital officials and the state Health Minister said on Wednesday.

Hospital monitoring, mixed dietary status

The deputy superintendent of Sadar Hospital reported that the four students — admitted over the past week — are being regularly checked and monitored. Officials said while some of the protesters have begun taking a liquid diet, at least one remained on fast under medical supervision.

Among the patients, hospital authorities identified Devendra Nath Mahto and Mahendra Pratap as protesters associated with the JSSC-Chhatra Manch. Two others, Habiba and Rahul Kranti, are members of the core committee of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, the hospital said.

"The health condition of all four students is stable. Check-ups and regular monitoring of their health are being done periodically,"

The deputy superintendent said Mahto, who has been fasting for the past 11 days, was still refusing food though his condition was stable. Kranti, who began fasting at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium on August 4 and was shifted to hospital on August 7 after his health deteriorated, has been advised to take liquids and is consuming fruit juice and milk.

Activist seeks permission to return to protest

Separately, JLKM leader Devendra Mahto — who has been on hunger strike for 11 days and was admitted to Sadar Hospital after his condition worsened following a march to the Jharkhand Assembly — wrote to the Ranchi civil surgeon seeking permission to return to the protest site at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium.

In a social media post reported by news agencies, Mahto said his body was receiving treatment in hospital but that his "soul is at the satyagraha site" where students were engaged in what he called a just struggle for their future.

State response and calls for restraint

State Health Minister Irfan Ansari visited Sadar Hospital on Wednesday and met the students undergoing treatment. The minister said two more protesters had been admitted to hospital after their condition worsened on Tuesday evening, and he appealed to students not to endanger their lives by continuing the hunger strike.

"The government has already constituted a team, dialogues have been held, and more will be held," Ansari told reporters, according to official accounts.

Background of the agitation

Students have been demonstrating in Ranchi for over two weeks, alleging irregularities in the conduct of recruitment examinations for government posts. The agitation has included marches to the Jharkhand Assembly and sustained sit-ins at public venues, including Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium.

Hospital authorities said counselling by doctors had encouraged at least one of the patients to take liquids, and regular medical checks are being carried out to monitor vitals and hydration. The Chief Medical Officer of the hospital has been supervising medical care, officials added.

  • Number under treatment: 4 students at Sadar Hospital
  • Notable durations: Mahto on fast for 11 days; Kranti began fast on August 4
  • Government action: a committee formed and dialogues ongoing, Health Minister said

Patient details and current status

Name Affiliation Admission Current status
Devendra Nath Mahto JSSC-Chhatra Manch Admitted Monday Fasting; stable; under observation
Mahendra Pratap JSSC-Chhatra Manch Under treatment Stable; monitored
Habiba JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch Admitted Tuesday Stable; under treatment
Rahul Kranti JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch Admitted Aug 7 Taking liquid diet; improving

Officials emphasised that clinical decisions on discharge or return to protest sites rest with treating physicians and the civil surgeon. Devendra Mahto's letter to the civil surgeon asking to rejoin the protest highlights the tension between the protesters' demands and public health concerns.

Local authorities have not disclosed timelines for further talks but reiterated that dialogue channels have been opened. The continuing agitation and the medical status of hunger strikers will be closely watched by both the government and student groups in the coming days.

Devendra Kulkarni
Devendra AI AI Politics Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Devendra, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

JHJharkhand

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Jharkhand, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click