New Delhi: The Delhi government on Saturday approved a further extension of the paper-based pink ticket facility for women passengers in Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and DoT (Cluster) buses up to August 31, an official order said. The decision delays the earlier plan to make the Pink Saheli smart card mandatory from August 16.
Order keeps the free-travel arrangement intact during transition
The transport department issued the direction saying that eligible women passengers will continue to be issued paper-based pink tickets to avail the free bus travel facility during the extended period. The move aims to provide time for public awareness measures and wider distribution of the smart cards.
“The competent authority has now been pleased to accord approval for further extension of the existing arrangement for issuance of paper-based pink tickets up to August 31,” the order said.
Officials said the extension will be accompanied by intensified outreach through depot announcements, in-bus messages, social media, print media and other appropriate channels to educate commuters about the card-based system and its rollout.
Rollout progress and distribution network
So far, around 18 lakh Pink Saheli cards have been distributed across the city, the order noted. The government has established 50 authorised centres in different parts of Delhi to facilitate issuance of the smart cards, with an objective to increase coverage before the card becomes mandatory.
- Existing arrangement: Paper-based pink tickets issued at bus depots and onboard.
- Interim extension: Paper tickets allowed until 31 August while awareness and distribution continue.
- Future plan: Gradual phase-out of paper tickets and shift to Pink Saheli smart card system.
The government said the shift to smart cards is intended to streamline benefits, reduce misuse and ensure quicker, more reliable transactions, though the order emphasised a phased approach to avoid disruption to commuters who may not yet have received cards.
Practical implications for passengers
Women who are eligible for the free travel concession can continue to board DTC and cluster buses and request issuance of the paper-based pink ticket until the end of August. The administration has urged commuters to visit one of the 50 authorised centres to obtain the Pink Saheli smart card at the earliest to avoid last-minute congestion when the card becomes mandatory.
| Aspect | Current status |
|---|---|
| Paper-based pink tickets | Allowed until 31 August |
| Pink Saheli smart card distribution | ~18 lakh cards issued; 50 authorised centres operational |
| Awareness measures | Depot & in-bus announcements, social and print media campaigns |
Transport department officials reiterated that the extension is temporary and that the administration intends to transition fully to the smart-card regime. The order instructs depot managers to intensify communication so that beneficiaries are aware of both the extension and the process to obtain the card.
Commuters seeking information on eligibility criteria, centre locations or card issuance procedures were advised to follow announcements at local depots or the transport department's official channels. The government did not provide an exact timeline beyond August 31 for when the paper tickets will be finally withdrawn.
The extension follows logistic and outreach considerations as authorities scale up the scheme citywide. By delaying the mandatory cut-off, the administration aims to reduce inconvenience to women commuters, particularly those in areas where card distribution or awareness remains incomplete.
Further details are expected from the transport department should it issue a follow-up notification or updated schedule for the phase-out of paper-based pink tickets.