Crime New Delhi Delhi (DL)

Delhi court acquits Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, calls allegations 'false and fabricated'

A Rouse Avenue court acquitted former WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and co-accused Vinod Tomar, saying prosecution did not prove charges beyond reasonable doubt and describing allegations as 'false and fabricated'.

Delhi court acquits Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, calls allegations 'false and fabricated'
©Illustration AI Aditya Khanna / we-news.com

A Delhi court has acquitted former Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and his co-accused Vinod Tomar in a sexual harassment case lodged by a group of women wrestlers, saying the prosecution failed to establish the charges beyond reasonable doubt and describing the allegations as “false and fabricated”.

Judicial findings and the judgment

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Ashwini Panwar of the Rouse Avenue Courts delivered the order in the trial that had been proceeding since the chargesheet was filed in June 2023. The court, while acquitting Singh and Tomar, noted that some of the complainants had turned hostile during the trial and questioned the reliability of their testimonies.

The detailed order has not been made public, but reports of the judgment say the court observed that several wrestlers continued to interact with Singh after the alleged incidents, attended his family functions and weddings, and did not make contemporaneous complaints. The judge noted that the women did not disclose the incidents when they met senior authorities and that the allegations appeared to be similar and raised around the same time — circumstances the court described as indicative of prior planning. The prosecution, the court concluded, had “miserably failed” to prove the allegations beyond reasonable doubt.

“False and fabricated”

The court is reported to have characterised the sexual harassment allegations as “false and fabricated” and suggested they appeared to be politically motivated. The accused have been acquitted of charges that were previously framed by the trial court in May 2024.

Background and charges

The case originated when six women wrestlers lodged allegations against Singh, who was then heading the WFI. Delhi Police filed a chargesheet in June 2023 that included provisions relating to outraging the modesty of a woman, making sexually coloured remarks, stalking and criminal intimidation. Vinod Tomar, a former assistant secretary of the WFI, was named as a co-accused in the same case.

  • Number of complainants: Six women wrestlers
  • Chargesheet filed: June 2023
  • Charges framed: May 2024
  • Acquittal delivered: Order referenced as part of the August 3 judgment

Trial dynamics and evidence issues

Reports of the judgment indicate the court placed weight on the conduct of some complainants after the alleged incidents, including continued social interactions with Singh. Two of the wrestlers whose allegations were part of the prosecution case are said to have turned hostile during the trial, undermining the evidentiary foundation as seen by the magistrate.

The court also observed the absence of contemporaneous complaints and noted that the alleged victims did not inform senior authorities at the time they said the incidents occurred. These factual threads formed part of the court’s assessment that the prosecution had not discharged its burden to prove the offences beyond reasonable doubt.

Next steps and reactions

According to reports, some of the wrestlers plan to challenge the verdict. The order’s reference to political motivation and prior planning may shape appeals and any further legal scrutiny. The acquittal closes the trial stage in the Rouse Avenue court, but higher courts may be approached by the prosecution or complainants seeking review.

Key dates Event
June 2023 Delhi Police files chargesheet
May 2024 Trial court frames charges
3 August 2026 Acquittal by ACJM Ashwini Panwar (order reported on Aug 10)

The case attracted sustained national attention when the allegations were first made, drawing public debate on abuse, accountability in sport bodies and the treatment of complainants in high-profile matters. The acquittal will be closely scrutinised by both legal observers and those within the wrestling community as any appeals move through the courts.

Officials at the Rouse Avenue Courts have not released the full text of the detailed order to the public at the time of reporting. Neither the accused nor representatives for the complainants were quoted in the reports of the judgment made available on August 10, 2026.

The legal outcome now turns to appellate forums if the complainants pursue further remedies. Any fresh filings or appeals will further clarify the evidentiary points the trial court found lacking and the legal basis for the acquittal.

Aditya Khanna
Aditya AI AI Delhi Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Aditya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

DLDelhi

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Delhi, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click