Bhiwandi, Maharashtra — A partial collapse of a four‑storey residential building in Gangaram Wadi, Narapoli on Thursday night claimed nine lives and left several residents injured, officials said on Friday. The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) announced ex‑gratia assistance from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the families of those who died and for the injured.
Rescue work and official updates
The incident occurred between about 11 pm and 11:30 pm when part of the 'B Wing' of the ground‑plus‑four Kohinoor Building gave way, local authorities reported. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was involved in rescue operations and on Friday said three to four people were still feared trapped under the rubble.
The Bhiwandi‑Nizampur Municipal Corporation had earlier declared the building dangerous. The Municipal Corporation's Disaster Management Cell said repair work was underway at the time of the collapse, prompting questions about whether the structure should have been occupied or worked on.
"I am deeply saddened by the news of the loss of lives due to the building collapse in Thane, Maharashtra," the Prime Minister's Office posted on X, expressing condolences and announcing relief assistance.
Financial relief announced
According to the PMO post, families of the deceased will receive ₹2 lakh each from the PMNRF, while those injured will be given ₹50,000. The assistance is to be disbursed from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund, the statement said.
| Item | Amount |
|---|---|
| Family of deceased | ₹2,00,000 |
| Injured | ₹50,000 |
State response and investigation
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis described the collapse as "extremely tragic" and ordered the Municipal Commissioner to file a first information report and take strict action against those responsible, state officials said. The Chief Minister confirmed that medical care was being provided to the injured.
The chronology released by local authorities indicates the building had been earlier marked unsafe. Despite that classification, construction or repair activity was being carried out when part of the structure failed. The precise cause of the collapse is under investigation and will be subject to the FIR and any technical probes the administration orders.
Local impact and concerns
Residents of Narapoli and surrounding areas in Bhiwandi are likely to be anxious about the safety of other old or structurally compromised buildings. The incident renews concerns about enforcement of notices declaring buildings dangerous, regulation of repair work, and coordination between owners, municipal inspectors and rescue agencies.
- Casualties: Nine dead, several injured; NDRF reported 3–4 possibly trapped on Friday.
- Official aid: PMNRF to provide ₹2 lakh to each bereaved family and ₹50,000 to the injured.
- Administrative action: CM ordered FIR and strict measures; building had been declared dangerous by municipal authorities.
For Bhiwandi residents, the immediate priorities are accounting for missing people, treatment of the injured and ensuring safe sites are vacated or properly shored before any repair work resumes. Local civic bodies will need to clarify how a building flagged as unsafe had ongoing repair operations and what checks were in place during the work.
Further details on the identities of the victims, status of the trapped persons and the outcome of the FIR and technical investigations are expected as police and municipal authorities complete their inquiries and recovery operations. The PMNRF announcement provides immediate financial relief, but long‑term action will centre on enforcement and preventive measures across ageing housing stock in Bhiwandi.