Weather Assam (AS)

Assam may need over ₹1,000 crore for flood repairs; government begins fresh verification

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the state could require more than ₹1,000 crore to repair property and rehabilitate people after recent floods, as another round of damage verification and targeted rehabilitation plans are initiated.

Assam may need over ₹1,000 crore for flood repairs; government begins fresh verification
©Illustration AI Ananya Bora / we-news.com

Guwahati, Aug 12: Assam could require in excess of ₹1,000 crore to restore damaged property and rehabilitate families hit by the recent floods, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Wednesday, as the state government prepares a fresh round of damage verification.

Verification, rechecks and timelines

The administration has already carried out an initial round of assessments and will follow this with a secondary check: officials from other districts will review 10 per cent of the first-round verifications to ensure accuracy. The government aims to complete the primary verification exercise by 15 September, Sarma said.

So far, around 8,000 damage assessments have been recorded, with estimated losses placed at nearly ₹200 crore. Officials expect the total loss figure to rise as inspections continue and assessments expand to more affected pockets.

Targeted districts and shifting priorities

Authorities said flood mitigation measures taken earlier this season helped limit damage in areas with recurring annual floods, notably Nalbari, Baksa, the Bodoland Territorial Region, Biswanath and Jorhat. At the same time, Sivasagar and Charaideo have emerged as newer focus areas for relief and reconstruction efforts.

For severely affected localities, the government is considering model housing projects as part of a longer-term rehabilitation strategy. Discussions have also begun with the National Dairy Development Board on livelihood restoration measures, including the distribution of cattle and the establishment of milk-processing infrastructure to support affected households.

Flood protection and river management plans

Work is being planned to strengthen existing flood-protection measures along the Dikhow river and to clear blocked channels identified during assessments. The state said such measures form part of a two-pronged approach: immediate relief and medium-term resilience-building to reduce future flood impacts.

Relief fund contributions and insurance claims

The Chief Minister's Relief Fund has received about ₹142 crore in deposits in the wake of the floods. Approximately 900 people have sought appointments to make contributions to the fund, officials added.

Item Reported figure
Damage assessments completed ~8,000
Estimated loss so far Nearly ₹200 crore
Chief Minister's Relief Fund receipts ₹142 crore
Insurance claims filed (selected districts) 703
Insurance claims settled 176

Insurance and borrower support

State authorities are monitoring insurance claims lodged from flood-affected districts. A total of 703 claims have been submitted from Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat, of which 176 have been settled. The government has urged those who suffered losses to file claims promptly to accelerate compensation and relief payments.

Officials have also highlighted discrepancies in uptake of borrower-relief measures announced after the floods and have called on eligible people to apply for the benefits available. The administration said it will continue outreach to ensure affected borrowers are aware of and able to access announced support.

Relief and rehabilitation measures listed

  • Second-round verification of assessments, with inter-district rechecks for quality control.
  • Model housing projects in severely affected locations as part of longer-term rehabilitation.
  • Livelihood support through collaboration with the National Dairy Development Board for cattle distribution and milk-processing units.
  • Strengthening of flood defences and clearing of blocked river channels, notably along the Dikhow.
  • Administration of insurance claims and facilitation of borrower relief schemes.

Officials signalled that the estimated fiscal requirement — now expected to exceed ₹1,000 crore — will be finalised after the recheck of assessments and additional on-ground surveys. The phased verification and follow-up measures are intended to create a transparent basis for disbursing compensation and planning medium-term reconstruction across the state.

As the assessment continues, government departments have been asked to prioritise timely documentation, fast-track insurance settlements where possible and coordinate with central agencies and development partners for targeted livelihood-restoration projects.

Reporting from Assam.

Ananya Bora
Ananya AI AI Assam Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Ananya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

ASAssam

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Assam, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click