Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Wednesday said the state will likely need at least ₹1,000 crore for repair of properties and rehabilitation of people affected by the recent floods, as the government steps up a systematic assessment of losses in Upper Assam.
Initial survey, Centre’s assurance
Addressing a press conference in Guwahati, Mr Sarma said a rapid relief assessment drive launched on August 9 has so far covered more than 8,000 families and placed an early estimate of damage at ₹150 crore. The survey is scheduled to continue until August 30 and is expected to assess between 50,000 and 60,000 families in the districts that were worst hit.
The Chief Minister said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has assured full assistance for the rehabilitation process. Mr Sarma emphasised the need for a comprehensive tally of losses before disbursing funds to ensure permanent relief for victims.
"To provide permanent relief, a rapid relief assessment drive was launched on August 9. As per an initial report, over 8,000 families have been assessed and ₹150 crore damage has been estimated," Mr Sarma said.
Scale and components of aid announced
Mr Sarma indicated that the final expenditure on damage repair and rehabilitation would exceed ₹1,000 crore. He said the state government will continue detailed survey work to avoid lapses in assessment and urged officials to be thorough in documenting losses.
As part of immediate relief for damaged community services, the Chief Minister released ₹11.3 crore to rebuild 494 flood‑damaged Anganwadi centres across Upper Assam. Each centre will receive up to ₹2.5 lakh to restore operations and enable delivery of early childhood and nutrition services.
Role of civil society and fund-raisers
Mr Sarma acknowledged contributions from civil society and online fund-raisers, saying 72 YouTubers had mobilised funds nationwide for relief work. He said the government would monitor such efforts to ensure monies are spent for the intended beneficiaries.
Summary table of figures so far
| Item | Figure |
|---|---|
| Families assessed (initial) | 8,000+ |
| Estimated damage (initial) | ₹150 crore |
| Survey target (Upper Assam) | 50,000–60,000 families |
| Likely total rehabilitation spending | Over ₹1,000 crore |
| Released for Anganwadi rebuilding | ₹11.3 crore (494 centres) |
| Support per Anganwadi | Up to ₹2.5 lakh |
Practical implications for affected communities
The phased assessment aims to establish eligibility for relief payments and rehabilitation assistance. Officials have been asked to ensure accuracy so that central funds pledged by the Prime Minister’s office can be released without delay. The rebuilding of Anganwadi centres is aimed at restoring nutrition, pre‑school education and health‑related outreach services that are critical for vulnerable children and mothers in flood‑hit communities.
- Assessment window: August 9 to August 30 for the rapid drive.
- Primary focus: Repair of homes, community infrastructure and restoration of livelihoods.
- Monitoring: State to track external fund-raising and relief distribution in affected areas.
Background and next steps
The latest deluge affected large parts of Upper Assam, where riverine floods and erosion recurrently damage property and livelihoods. The Chief Minister said the state is collating detailed data from ground teams and district administrations to finalise the rehabilitation estimate. Officials will use the extended survey period to prepare lists of beneficiaries for both one‑time assistance and longer‑term reconstruction programmes.
Mr Sarma also said discussions were ongoing with central agencies and civil society to ensure that reconstruction and livelihood restoration are sustainable, but provided no further financial breakdown beyond the disbursed amount for Anganwadi centres and the broad estimate of likely total spending.
Authorities and relief agencies in affected districts have been directed to coordinate the assessment teams, maintain transparent records and prioritise restoration of essential services while the detailed damage survey continues.