Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday placed the estimated loss from last month's floods at ₹480 crore, saying the calamity affected 26,681 houses across the state and impacted several districts that continue to undergo rapid damage assessment and restoration.
Relief disbursed and further assistance
The Chief Minister said 96,842 families have so far received interim assistance of ₹15,000 each, with the state government recording expenditure of ₹146.26 crore on relief measures. He added that an additional 3,000–4,000 families were likely to be covered in the next round of payments.
“Nearly Rs 150 crore disbursed as interim relief. Remaining claims will be cleared by tomorrow,” Sarma said in a post on X.
Assessment drive and timelines
Authorities have completed roughly 75 per cent of the flood damage assessment, the Chief Minister stated, with more than 1,000 surveyors deployed in the field. Rapid assessment work is focused on Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat and Golaghat districts. Sarma said a second phase of the survey is expected to conclude on September 10 or 11, and a third phase will be opened if complaints emerge.
The government has set an explicit target to disburse the final flood-damage compensation to eligible families before Durga Puja, reflecting the urgency attached to rehabilitation ahead of the festival season.
Housing, infrastructure and public services
In consultation with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the state will seek to accelerate construction of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) houses for eligible beneficiaries in Charaideo and Sivasagar, the Chief Minister said. He reviewed relief, rehabilitation and restoration measures in the four most affected districts and directed officials to expedite restoration work.
The review covered a range of issues: damage assessment and interim relief, restoration of schools and Anganwadi centres, moratoriums on bank loans, processing of insurance claims, and the organisation of medical and veterinary camps.
Schools, pumping and health surveillance
Sarma reported that 793 schools are under repair and are expected to be ready for reopening. Roads and other public infrastructure have been prioritised for rebuilding. High-capacity pumps are being operated round the clock to drain low-lying pockets, particularly in parts of Sivasagar, while health camps are being expanded and disease outbreaks are being monitored closely.
- Damage estimate: ₹480 crore
- Houses affected: 26,681
- Families paid interim relief: 96,842 (₹15,000 each)
- State relief expenditure reported: ₹146.26 crore
- Survey completion: ~75% with 1,000+ surveyors
| Item | Figure |
|---|---|
| Estimated flood damage | ₹480 crore |
| Houses affected | 26,681 |
| Families paid interim relief | 96,842 (₹15,000 each) |
| Schools under repair | 793 |
Ongoing priorities and citizen guidance
Officials have been directed to speed up insurance claim processing and to ensure bank moratoriums and other financial relief measures are made available to affected households. The state has also mobilised veterinary camps to assist livestock owners whose animals were affected by the floods.
Residents in affected districts should monitor announcements from local administration and block offices regarding final assessment dates and disbursement schedules. Those with grievances about assessment outcomes were told they will have opportunities to register complaints during the planned follow-up phases.
The Chief Minister’s statements underline the dual focus of Assam’s response: immediate interim relief to families and a rapid mobilisation of technical teams to finalise assessments so reconstruction and longer-term aid can proceed before the festive season.
As the state continues recovery work across riverine and low-lying tracts, officials said they would maintain round-the-clock operations where necessary to restore connectivity and protect public health.