New charges follow earlier arrest in similar investigations
Winnipeg police say a 42-year-old man has been arrested and charged after investigators allege he lured and sexually assaulted four teenage girls over a series of incidents. The arrest, made this week, comes months after the same man was arrested in a separate investigation involving two other teens earlier this year.
Police identified the accused as Daniel David Main. He was taken into custody Tuesday and faces a series of criminal counts, including multiple counts of sexual assault and sexual interference, as well as charges related to luring and breaching a release order, the Winnipeg Police Service said in a news release.
Police say the suspect "lured and sexually assaulted four teenage girls" in incidents investigated by the counter-exploitation unit.
According to the police timeline, reports relating to two separate incidents were received in June. Those reports concerned events that allegedly occurred between November 2025 and January 2026. Investigators say the man contacted the teens online, arranged meetings with them and their friends, picked them up and took them to a hotel, where the girls were given drugs and alcohol and subsequently sexually assaulted.
Investigators in the police service's counter-exploitation unit continued the probe through the summer and identified a suspect this month. The statement from police confirms Main has been charged with:
- Four counts of sexual assault
- Four counts of sexual interference
- Two counts of luring a person under 16 by means of telecommunication
- Failing to comply with a release order
The arrest follows an earlier police action in late January. On Jan. 30, officers arrested a man on Paramount Road after a probe that began earlier that month into a man allegedly contacting teens online under the username "Moon Beam." In that earlier investigation, police said two teens had gone to a residence on Sept. 8 after several weeks of communicating on social media; that file led to charges in February related to those allegations.
| Alleged period | Reported to police | Action |
|---|---|---|
| Nov 2025–Jan 2026 | June 2026 | New charges laid (four teens) |
| Sept 8, 2025 (alleged meeting) | Early 2026 | Earlier arrest (two teens), charges laid in February |
Police describe the tactic as online contact followed by arranging offline meetings. In both the earlier and the more recent matters, the accused is alleged to have used social media and telecommunications to build contact with young people before meeting them in person. The counter-exploitation unit, which focuses on sexual exploitation and related offences, led the investigation into the more recent complaints.
Court processes will follow. The police release did not specify when Main is scheduled to appear in court on the new charges. The Winnipeg Police Service also did not release further identifying details about the victims beyond their ages and the nature of the alleged offences.
Community impact and prevention
Cases where adults allegedly use online platforms to contact and exploit young people have prompted awareness efforts from schools, child-welfare agencies and law-enforcement bodies across Manitoba in recent years. Police are urging parents and guardians to remain vigilant about young people's online contacts and to report any suspicious communications.
Anyone with information about these incidents or similar concerns is asked to contact the Winnipeg Police Service. Victim-support services and counselling are available through local community organizations and health services for anyone affected by sexual violence.
This remains a developing story. The Winnipeg Police Service provided the details in its public statement; no additional comment from the accused or legal representatives was included in the release.