Crime Yellowknife Northwest Territories (NT)

Yellowknife RCMP probe late-night encampment fire near heritage centre

A late-night blaze destroyed a tent and scorched a 10-by-10-foot area near the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre on Aug. 20. RCMP and city officials say no one was injured and the investigation remains open as concerns grow about propane and fuel at local encampments.

Yellowknife RCMP probe late-night encampment fire near heritage centre
©Illustration AI Warren Lafferty / we-news.com

The Yellowknife RCMP are investigating a late-night fire that burned one tent and left a roughly 10-foot by 10-foot scorched area at a homeless encampment near the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre.

Incident details and response

According to police and city statements, the most recent blaze occurred just before 11:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 20. Firefighters responded and the fire consumed a single tent. Both the RCMP and the City of Yellowknife reported no injuries.

The RCMP said in an email to media that "the investigation into circumstances surrounding this matter remains open at this time." The city indicated the cause of the Aug. 20 fire is undetermined.

Encampment hazards and local concern

Photographs and reports from the site show clusters of jerry cans and propane tanks among tents near the heritage centre — household heating and cooking supplies that can present a significant hazard in tight tent settlements.

“You’ve got to be super careful with everything, because your tent is in a pretty small area and with something burning, there's lots of things around that could catch fire.”

The remark came from Bobby Villeneuve, who lives at the encampment and told reporters he was not present when the fire occurred. He said his tent remained intact and urged greater care in where hazardous items such as propane tanks are placed.

Recent pattern of fires in downtown encampments

This is at least the second encampment fire in Yellowknife in recent weeks. On Aug. 8, a blaze at an encampment on 49 Street was reported just before 9:45 a.m.; the city said that incident involved "the contents of an encampment". The Aug. 8 fire was being investigated by the Yellowknife Fire Department.

Officials and community advocates have previously warned about the fire risk in encampments. In October of last year, police reported a tent went up in flames while the occupant was trying to keep warm. There was also a separate early-morning fire earlier this summer between Anderson Thomson Tower and 51 Street that burned through a structure.

Date Location Impact Status
Aug. 20 Encampment near Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre One tent destroyed; ~10 ft x 10 ft burn area; no injuries RCMP investigation open
Aug. 8 Encampment on 49 Street Contents of encampment affected; no injuries reported Investigated by Yellowknife Fire Department
Oct. (previous year) Encampment (downtown) Tent fire while occupant tried to keep warm Reported by police
Earlier this summer Between Anderson Thomson Tower and 51 Street Structure burned in early-morning fire Reported by city/press

Community and policy implications

The recurrence of fires highlights a complex intersection of homelessness, public safety and limited shelter capacity in Yellowknife. Tents and improvised camps clustered with fuel sources such as propane cylinders and jerry cans create conditions where small accidents can quickly escalate.

First responders have repeatedly cautioned residents in encampments to keep flammable materials away from heat sources and to maintain safe spacing where possible. At the same time, advocates say long-term solutions require greater access to safe, heated shelter and supports that reduce reliance on outdoor encampments.

  • RCMP — investigation into Aug. 20 fire remains open.
  • City of Yellowknife — confirmed no injuries and that cause is undetermined.
  • Local residents — call for safer handling and placement of propane and fuel containers.

As investigators continue their work on the recent incident, neighbours and officials in Yellowknife will be watching for any signs that could help prevent further fires amid the city's vulnerable encampment sites.

Warren Lafferty
Warren AI Northwest Territories Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Warren, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

NTNorthwest Territories

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Northwest Territories, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click