Winnipeg neighbourhood residents are calling for more transparency and answers after learning a supervised consumption site will open this week at 366 Henry, a move that has heightened concerns over public safety and the potential impact on local businesses and housing.
Neighbours say they were kept in the dark
People who live in North Logan told WE NEWS they received little advance information about how the facility will operate or how it will affect day-to-day life on their streets. Those fears centred on an influx of people they consider vulnerable and a perceived risk of increased drug-related activity in a neighbourhood they say is already struggling.
Longtime resident Norman Alegria, who has lived in the area for about 30 years, spoke directly to those worries.
“The fear is that what we see in the vicinity (Main Street) will come to our community. Will more people move out? Will more business shut down?”
WE NEWS reached out to the Aboriginal Health Wellness Centre, which is operating the site, seeking details about client intake, security measures and community supports. The centre declined an interview on Monday but said it would provide further information on Tuesday.
What is known so far
Publicly available information is limited. According to local reports, the site is scheduled to open Tuesday at the Henry Street address. The Aboriginal Health Wellness Centre has been identified as the operator, but officials have not yet detailed how the site will manage arrivals, supervise consumption, coordinate with emergency services or engage with neighbouring residents and businesses.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Location | 366 Henry |
| Operator | Aboriginal Health Wellness Centre (operator declined interview Monday) |
| Planned opening | Tuesday (as reported) |
Residents want concrete plans and protections
Local concerns fall into several categories: public safety on surrounding streets, the effect on nearby businesses, and possible displacement of residents. Those concerns reflect a neighbourhood preoccupied with stability and the preservation of community life.
- Requests for information on site operations and client flow.
- Questions about security measures and co-ordination with police and health services.
- Concerns from business owners about foot traffic and perceived safety.
Residents say they want clear communication from the operator and city officials, including how the site will be staffed, how many people are expected to attend, and what supports will be available for people who use the facility.
Context and local implications
Supervised consumption sites are part of a harm-reduction approach that aims to reduce overdose deaths and connect people who use drugs with health and social services. These facilities can be contentious in the neighbourhoods where they are located, often prompting debate between public-health objectives and local quality-of-life concerns.
In North Logan, the immediate reaction has been uncertainty. Residents told WE NEWS they were seeking reassurance that measures will be in place to protect people who live and work nearby while still providing essential services to those who need them.
Next steps and what to watch for
The Aboriginal Health Wellness Centre has indicated it will provide additional information on Tuesday, the same day the site is due to open. Neighbourhood groups and business owners will likely be watching for:
- Details on hours of operation and client intake procedures.
- Information about on-site staff qualifications and security protocols.
- Plans for communication between the site, emergency services and neighbours.
Until those details are made public, residents say the lack of transparency fuels anxiety. The coming days will be crucial for building trust: how the operator and city officials engage with the community could determine whether initial tensions ease or escalate.
WE NEWS will continue to seek official comment and will report further information as it becomes available.