A scheduled provincial court appearance in Fredericton for a woman charged in connection with a fatal hit-and-run south of the city was adjourned Tuesday while her defence lawyers await disclosure of evidence.
Court appearance pushed back
Vanessa Ricketson, 27, had been due to appear in Fredericton provincial court to elect a mode of trial in relation to the roadside death of a 19-year-old man from Norton. Her lawyers asked the judge to delay the matter to allow for disclosure, and Judge Lyne Raymond set the next appearance for Sept. 1.
Ricketson is accused of leaving the scene after a vehicle struck the man, who was changing a tyre on the Trans-Canada Highway near Oromocto. The RCMP have not identified the victim.
Police description of the crash
Police have said the victim had taken precautions before the collision. In their earlier statements, officers said he had "taken all appropriate precautions, including pulling far enough off the highway, wearing a reflective vest and turning on the vehicle’s four-way flashers."
"[He] had taken all appropriate precautions, including pulling far enough off the highway, wearing a reflective vest and turning on the vehicle’s four-way flashers."
RCMP have declined to answer questions about whether Ricketson was the same person of interest the force identified two days after the crash, on March 19. The charge against Ricketson came almost four months after the incident.
Custody status and next steps
Police confirmed Tuesday that Ricketson is not in their custody. Defence counsel — appearing as an agent for Emily Cochrane — did not bring their client to court and sought the adjournment to receive disclosure materials before proceeding.
- Accused: Vanessa Ricketson, 27
- Victim: 19-year-old man from Norton (not publicly identified)
- Location: Trans-Canada Highway near Oromocto
- Next court date: Sept. 1 in Fredericton provincial court
Local context and community impact
Hit-and-run incidents on provincial highways raise ongoing concerns about roadside safety for drivers and passengers who must stop for mechanical issues. Fredericton-area residents have in recent years urged both stronger enforcement and clearer public information when serious collisions occur on busy provincial routes. The adjournment means it may be several weeks before further court steps or more detailed disclosures become public.
Investigations of fatal collisions often involve forensic analysis, witness statements and disclosure that can take time to compile. The delay requested by the defence is a common step in criminal proceedings when lawyers seek full access to the prosecution’s evidence before the accused makes decisions about trial mode.
| Event | Date/Detail |
|---|---|
| Person of interest publicly identified by RCMP | Two days after the crash, on March 19 |
| Charge laid | Almost four months after the incident |
| Adjourned court appearance | New date set for Sept. 1, matter delayed on Aug. 11 |
The RCMP continue to handle inquiries related to the collision and have not released additional details about the investigation or about whether any further charges may be anticipated. Anyone with information related to the incident is typically asked to contact the local RCMP detachment.
The delay in court proceedings means Fredericton residents seeking clarity on the case will need to wait until disclosure is completed and the matter returns to provincial court.