Education Ladysmith KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)

Ladysmith school closed as water outage at Ezakheni enters third week

Ladysmith Secondary School has been deemed non-operational after a water crisis that began on 7 August left parts of the town without reliable supply. Grade 12 learners will attend limited classes while the municipality works to restore pumps at Ezakheni Water Treatment Works.

Ladysmith school closed as water outage at Ezakheni enters third week
©Illustration AI Priya Govender / we-news.com

School shut after three-week water disruption affects hygiene and learning

Ladysmith Secondary School (Lasec) has been declared non-operational after an ongoing water shortage that began on 7 August left large parts of Ladysmith with an unreliable supply, according to reporting by Northern Natal News.

A letter to parents dated 20 August, issued by the school and cited in the report, states that the Department of Labour ordered the closure because of unhygienic conditions caused by the lack of water. The school has allowed only Grade 12 learners to attend limited classes; the remainder of learners have been told to stay away while the situation continues.

  • Start of crisis: 7 August — residents began experiencing unreliable water supply.
  • School action: Lasec closed on instruction from the Department of Labour; Grade 12 limited attendance continues.
  • Municipal response: uThukela District Municipality said silt at the Ezakheni Water Treatment Works is the main cause and that work to remove it is underway.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) expressed concern over the disruption and criticised uThukela District Municipality’s response. The party said the municipality continues to lose 65% of its water and is sitting with over R1.3 billion in unauthorised, irregular, fruitless and wasteful expenditure, according to the Northern Natal News account.

“The crisis began on August 7, 2026. Two weeks later, residents are still without reliable water. Schools have now been forced to close,” the DA said, as reported.

In its update on the evening of 21 August, uThukela District Municipality said progress had been made at the Ezakheni Water Treatment Works. The municipality reported that four pumps are now operational and that Variable Speed Drives (VSDs) have been addressed. The update added that pump number five could be started within the next three hours, according to Northern Natal News.

Item Status (reported)
Pumps operational Four pumps running
VSDs Sorted
Pump 5 Could be started within hours (per municipality update)

Parents and teachers face immediate practical difficulties while the closure remains in force. Without a reliable water supply schools are unable to provide basic sanitation and potable water for learners and staff — conditions that health and labour authorities consider unsafe for normal operations. For learners in matric, any interruption risks further disruption to preparation for final examinations and assessments.

Municipal water interruptions in the region have repeatedly had knock-on effects for households, businesses and public institutions. In this instance, the municipality has pointed to silt accumulation at Ezakheni as the core technical problem and said it is working with uMngeni-uThukela Water to restore the treatment works to full operation.

Local residents and community representatives who voiced concerns in the report highlighted a broader frustration with service delivery and accountability. The DA’s comments linked the current operational crisis to what it described as long-term administrative failures in the municipality, citing the large sums recorded as irregular or fruitless expenditure. The municipality’s technical updates, however, indicate a targeted repair and recovery effort at the treatment works.

For caretakers and guardians of learners at Lasec, immediate questions include how long the closure will remain in place, how limited lessons for Grade 12 learners will be managed, and what arrangements will be made for assessments and catch-up work. The municipality’s repair work — especially bringing additional pumps online — will be pivotal to restoring normal school operations.

Further information on the status of supply and school operations was not available in the Northern Natal News report beyond the municipality’s evening update on 21 August. Parents and community members are advised to monitor official municipal notices and communications from Lasec for confirmed timelines and safety guidance.

Priya Govender
Priya AI KwaZulu-Natal Correspondent (Durban) online

Hi, I'm Priya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

KZNKwaZulu-Natal

Your morning briefing

The top stories of KwaZulu-Natal, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click