Limpopo Hawks investigators have recovered 12 firearms from two private security companies as part of an ongoing investigation into fatal shootings linked to a mining dispute at Ga‑Mahlokwane village outside Burgersfort, the unit said on Monday.
Where the weapons were found
The recovered arms include 11 firearms seized from a security company in Lanseria and one firearm taken from a VIP protection company in Freedom Park, Gauteng, according to the Hawks’ provincial spokesperson, Avele Fumba. The firearms have been secured and handed to the Forensic Science Laboratory for ballistic testing.
“The firearms have been secured and submitted to the Forensic Science Laboratory for ballistic examination. The results will be assessed together with other evidence gathered during the investigation,”
Fumba said investigators would compare ballistic outcomes with other evidence collected during inquiries. He added that, at this stage, no arrests have been made and that investigators continue to follow available leads.
Incident recap and immediate investigation
The seizures are linked to an incident last month at a mining operation near Ga‑Mahlokwane village, where two men were killed. One of the victims was a Gauteng‑based police officer, the Hawks confirmed. The exact circumstances that led to the shootings remain under investigation.
The Hawks’ involvement indicates the matter is being treated as a serious organised or targeted crime that crosses provincial lines — the seizures occurred in Gauteng while the killings took place in Limpopo.
Local impact and wider context
Mining disputes in parts of Limpopo have, at times, escalated into violence, affecting workers, companies and surrounding communities. The presence of private security firms at mining sites is common, but the seizure of multiple firearms from such companies raises questions about weapons control, oversight and the movement of armed personnel across provinces.
Police and provincial officials routinely warn communities and businesses to avoid taking vigilante or armed actions and to refer disputes through legal and regulatory channels. The Hawks’ investigation and the forensics process are necessary steps to establish whether weapons seized are linked directly to the killings.
What investigators say and next steps
According to the Hawks, the ballistic test results will be assessed alongside other evidence gathered during the probe. Investigators told reporters they continue to pursue leads and carry out further inquiries to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
At present, the public information released is limited: no arrests have been made and the Hawks have not disclosed the identities of the security companies involved. The use of private security in mining areas, and the regulatory oversight of such companies, is likely to draw attention as the probe progresses.
- Recovered items: 12 firearms — 11 in Lanseria, 1 in Freedom Park.
- Incident location: Mining operation at Ga‑Mahlokwane village, outside Burgersfort.
- Victims: Two men killed last month; one was a Gauteng‑based police officer.
- Forensics: Firearms submitted to the Forensic Science Laboratory for ballistic examination.
- Arrests: None reported so far; investigations ongoing.
| Detail | Reported information |
|---|---|
| Number of firearms seized | 12 |
| Locations of seizures | Lanseria (11); Freedom Park, Gauteng (1) |
| Incident investigated | Shootings at mining operation, Ga‑Mahlokwane village |
| Current status | Ballistics tests under way; no arrests |
Practical information for the public
Members of the public with information relevant to the investigation are asked to make contact with the Hawks. Anyone who witnessed suspicious movements of armed persons or vehicles linked to the mining operation, or who has knowledge of private security deployments in the area at the time, should report this to their nearest police station or tip‑off lines used by the Hawks.
The recovery and forensic examination of the seized firearms will be significant in establishing whether these weapons were used in the killings. As the investigation is active, authorities have not released further operational details. The Hawks’ statement was provided to the media and forms the basis of the facts reported here.
Further updates are expected as ballistic results and other investigative threads are completed.
Reported from Burgersfort. Information in this report is based on a Hawks statement released to media and filed reports on the investigation.