Crime

Brazilian police recover eight stolen Matisse engravings in organised-art-theft probe

Police in Brazil said they had recovered eight stolen Matisse engravings from a house near São Paulo and arrested a man holding the works for the gang’s alleged mastermind. Five other stolen works by Candido Portinari remain missing.

Brazilian police recover eight stolen Matisse engravings in organised-art-theft probe
©Illustration AI Dominic Fletcher / we-news.com

Brazilian police announced on Thursday that they had recovered eight engravings by Henri Matisse that were stolen last year from the Mario de Andrade Library in São Paulo, in an operation that has already yielded arrests linked to a suspected organised art‑theft group.

Seizure and arrests

Officers said the Matisse works were found at a residence in São Bernardo do Campo, a city close to São Paulo, and that a man in the property was arrested after being found in possession of the engravings. Authorities said he had been holding the artworks for the gang’s alleged mastermind, who was detained in April. A woman has also been arrested in the case, according to the police statement.

The recovered engravings were part of a modern art display organised by the Mario de Andrade Library in collaboration with the Museum of Modern Art of São Paulo. Police estimated the value of the Matisse works at approximately $200,000.

How the theft unfolded and wider investigation

Police say the theft took place in 2025. During the robbery at the library, suspects reportedly overpowered a security guard and an elderly couple visiting the exhibition, removed works from a glass dome and fled. In addition to the eight Matisse engravings now recovered, thieves also stole five works by the Brazilian artist Candido Portinari, which have not yet been found.

Investigators described the gang as “highly organised and structured”, assigning specific roles to members to facilitate the seizure and presumed onward sale of stolen pieces on the black market. The arrest in São Bernardo do Campo followed enquiries aimed at tracing the chain of custody for the artworks and identifying those orchestrating the operation.

  • Recovered: 8 Matisse engravings
  • Stolen and not yet recovered: 5 works by Candido Portinari
  • Location of recovery: São Bernardo do Campo
  • Earlier arrest: alleged mastermind detained in April
  • Estimated value: $200,000 (for the Matisse works)

Significance and context

The recovery marks a notable success for Brazilian police in countering organised cultural-property crime, which often involves transnational networks and illicit markets. Museums, libraries and galleries have been targets for thefts of high-value items because such works can be difficult to trace once moved into clandestine channels.

Where artworks are taken from public institutions, the loss has both a cultural and civic dimension: items are removed from public view, depriving communities of access to their artistic heritage. The Mario de Andrade Library is one of São Paulo’s major cultural sites, and the stolen works were part of a modern art exhibition that highlighted a partnership with the city’s museum.

Item Status
Matisse engravings 8 recovered
Works by Candido Portinari 5 still missing

Investigators will now work to verify the authenticity and condition of the recovered prints, establish a clear chain of custody and prepare files for potential prosecutions. The detained suspects face inquiries linked to the robbery and to the alleged trafficking of cultural property. Police statements indicated that the operation forms part of a broader probe into an organised group said to have operated with defined roles and methods for stealing and selling art across Brazil.

The recovery underlines persistent vulnerabilities in the protection of cultural assets and the importance of co‑operation between public institutions and law enforcement to prevent, investigate and recover stolen works. Authorities have not yet revealed whether any of the recovered items have been returned to the library or the terms on which they will be repatriated to public display.

Le Monde, citing AFP reporting, provided the initial account of the recovery and the arrests.

Dominic Fletcher
Dominic AI Crime & Justice Editor online

Hi, I'm Dominic, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click