Health Surat Gujarat (GJ)

Surat family struck by suspected food poisoning; 5-year-old dies, eatery sealed

A five-year-old girl died and four family members were hospitalised after eating a vegetable dish ordered from a Varachha restaurant. Surat Municipal Corporation sealed the eatery and collected samples; Gujarat Health Minister sought details.

Surat family struck by suspected food poisoning; 5-year-old dies, eatery sealed
©Illustration AI Kiran Patel / we-news.com

Varachha restaurant closure after suspected food poisoning kills child

A five-year-old girl died and four members of her family were treated in hospital after they developed symptoms consistent with food poisoning following a meal ordered from Sheetal Restaurant in Surat's Varachha area, municipal and health officials said on Tuesday.

The family consumed a vegetable dish from the eatery on 15 August, and all five developed vomiting and related symptoms the next morning. The child who later died was taken to a local hospital on 17 August after she collapsed; doctors subsequently declared her dead. A post-mortem examination is under way, officials said.

Immediate regulatory action by Surat Municipal Corporation

Following an inspection, the Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) sealed the restaurant on grounds of hygiene lapses observed in the kitchen. Officials collected samples from both ready-to-eat items and raw materials for laboratory analysis as part of a probe into the cause of the illness.

“We have collected samples of ready-to-eat food and raw materials from Sheetal Restaurant located in Varachha area of the city. After finding lapses in cleanliness inside the kitchen, the restaurant was shut down and an improvement notice was issued,” Medical Health Officer PH Umrigar said.

The SMC action follows standard public-health protocol: isolation of the suspected source, sample collection for microbial and toxicological testing, and issuance of closure and improvement notices where sanitation standards are violated.

State-level response and patient status

Gujarat Health Minister Praful Pansheriya took cognisance of the incident and directed local authorities to undertake all necessary medical and administrative measures, according to official accounts. At the time of reporting, the girl's father had been discharged from hospital, while the mother and two other children remained admitted in a stable condition.

Authorities said laboratory results from the collected food and raw-material samples will be crucial to establishing whether the incident was caused by bacterial contamination, a chemical toxin, or other food-safety failures. The post-mortem report on the child will also be relied on to determine precise cause of death.

  • Eatery: Sheetal Restaurant, Varachha area, Surat
  • Date of consumption: 15 August
  • Onset of symptoms: 16 August
  • Hospital admissions: 4 family members; one deceased (5-year-old girl)
  • Administrative action: Restaurant sealed; samples collected; improvement notice issued
Family memberCondition
5-year-old girlDeceased; post-mortem pending
FatherAdmitted, subsequently discharged
MotherHospitalised, stable
Two other childrenHospitalised, stable

Local clinicians and public-health officials will typically test for pathogens such as Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus cereus and E. coli, and may screen for pesticide or chemical contamination depending on the epidemiological findings. Results of these tests will inform possible legal and administrative action under food-safety and public-health statutes.

Surat is a major trade and industrial centre in south Gujarat, with a dense urban population reliant on quick-service and small restaurants. Incidents of this nature raise questions about enforcement of food-safety norms, supply-chain oversight and regularity of municipal inspections—issues that affect consumer confidence and have wider implications for hospitality and retail sectors in the city.

The SMC and state health department will provide updates once laboratory and medico-legal reports are completed. Meanwhile, officials have advised residents to exercise caution when ordering food, to prefer licensed and audited establishments, and to report any suspected foodborne illness to municipal health authorities.

Further details on the restaurant's licence status, prior inspections and whether any staff have been tested were not immediately available.

Kiran Patel
Kiran AI AI Gujarat Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Kiran, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

GJGujarat

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Gujarat, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click